Hi all

First Name
Edward
Ed,
a warm welcome from Italy by someone who re-started after 35 years. It's a complete new world, as someone has already pointed out.
Your mentioning the RB199 brought to my memory a Varsity test I had to pass: the input data where those of an endothermic engine and at the end of my calculations the outcomes where so high I thougth I completely failed the test until the day after, when the professor told us we worked on the RB 199 data :cold-sweat:. Of course, my career went in a totally different direction, but that's life...:thinking:.
Welcome again.
Andrea
Propulsion science sent fear into many a sooty on the fitter's course, but all forgotten when elbow-deep in Avtur :smiling3:

Thanks Andrea.

First Name
Edward
My loving memory of the RB199 is wearing the kidney belts on engine runs, the smell of the burnt avtur (lovely) and watching the diamonds in the reheat at night (joyous)
Some good memories lol. I remember being tied to a vertical steel girder in the testbed to leak-check the reheat fuel system (involved ramping up to max reheat, the coming back into dry range) with a torch lol. Not a good combination the day after a night out and a curry :flushed:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yeah i was at Saints. Worked in 'Twin Peaks' at10 Sqn VC10 Majors in '93

First Name
Edward
Jet Provost, VC10 C.MkI/ K2/K3, Tonka GR1 & 4 and lastly Nimrod. Also spent a bit of time on VASS and did cross-servicings on F-16, Mirage 2000 and some Dutch jet
Were you at twin peaks in Saints?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Did some training on AS&TF (crash n smash) as well whilst i was based in Germany

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Ed.
Some ex REME in here like me and Scottie.:smiling5:
My dad was in RAF did 39 years x boy entrant in signals .
Great forum, you'll soon feel like one of the family.

First Name
Edward
Welcome Ed.
Some ex REME in here like me and Scottie.:smiling5:
My dad was in RAF did 39 years x boy entrant in signals .
Great forum, you'll soon feel like one of the family.
Thanks John :smiling3: that's some service from boy entrant; from 16 years old I take it with "two for the Queen"?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John :smiling3: that's some service from boy entrant; from 16 years old I take it with "two for the Queen"?
Yes, :smiling3: he was x Cranwell , went out to Egypt before the war and came back and went to Bletchley as an instructor . We travelled all of the world, thoroughly enjoyed it.

First Name
Edward
Yes, :smiling3: he was x Cranwell , went out to Egypt before the war and came back and went to Bletchley as an instructor . We travelled all of the world, thoroughly enjoyed it.
An envious childhood to many :smiling3:. In my entire career with the RAF I didn't step foot out of the UK, the furthest I traveled was to Leuchars on a week's detachment for an airshow open day and then my last 2 years in Marham. I Saw a total of 9 stations during my time, Swinderby, Halton, St Athan, Cosford, Marham, Conningsby, and Leuchars (also went on a Q course at Coltishall, and a vibration course at Wyton).

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
An envious childhood to many :smiling3:. In my entire career with the RAF I didn't step foot out of the UK, the furthest I traveled was to Leuchars on a week's detachment for an airshow open day and then my last 2 years in Marham. I Saw a total of 9 stations during my time, Swinderby, Halton, St Athan, Cosford, Marham, Conningsby, and Leuchars (also went on a Q course at Coltishall, and a vibration course at Wyton).
Suppose for us there were very few signal stations apart from Digby, went there twice, that and Wittering were the only UK posting he had.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ed when was you at raf coltishall ? as i was a civvy worker up there in the 80 's an i spent some of my young time up there in the 60's to seventies with my dad as he was the civvy heavy duty crane driver there
chris

First Name
Edward
HI Ed when was you at raf coltishall ? as i was a civvy worker up there in the 80 's an i spent some of my young time up there in the 60's to seventies with my dad as he was the civvy heavy duty crane driver there
chris
Wow, it was around 1992 I think - I had just moved onto Jag majors at St Athan and went on my Q-AJG-PM course before being let loose on them as a lowly SAC lol. I saw the Jag school, accommodation block, and the NAAFI. Was really hoping to get out on the line to see some really planes up close for a change instead of being in bits in a stainless steel cage. I still have my Jaguar propulsion notes from the Q course. I'll dig them out sometime.

I also have my Vibration monitoring course folder from Wyton when I was on the RB199 testbed.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow, it was around 1992 I think - I had just moved onto Jag majors at St Athan and went on my Q-AJG-PM course before being let loose on them as a lowly SAC lol. I saw the Jag school, accommodation block, and the NAAFI. Was really hoping to get out on the line to see some really planes up close for a change instead of being in bits in a stainless steel cage. I still have my Jaguar propulsion notes from the Q course. I'll dig them out sometime.

I also have my Vibration monitoring course folder from Wyton when I was on the RB199 testbed.
WELL i use to hitch a ride with one of my dad's freinds in the refuling bowsser an go out to the flight line up an watch the jags beeing topped up untill the avgas was flowin out of the tail over flow pipe a i really enjoyed watchin this those was happy days but i'll never see them again as i liked the jag but to me they always seemed under powered on take off on reheat nothing like the lightning that streaked down the runway again on reheat an boy did they go then straight up like a rocket yrs gone by but they were happy days
chris

First Name
Edward
watch the jags beeing topped up untill the avgas was flowin out of the tail over flow pipe
This was always referred to as the donkey's d**k for some strange reason :rolling: We frequently nicknamed aircraft parts after something totally inappropriate :smiling3:

they always seemed under powered on take off on reheat

Unfortunately, it was underpowered on takeoff, in a climb, in a dive, and on landing it was even joked about being underpowered in a fall. It's the one thing that let this jet down was the power rating as the Adour mk 104 only produced 8,000lb thrust max wet compared to the RB199 which is hoofing out over 9,000lb dry, and capable of 16,500 lb thrust max wet (not combat rating). Although the Jag could top Mach1.1 downhill with a tailwind on a good day and without radar at low level, it was a bit of a thrill ride by all accounts.

Lightnings were a leaking sieve and nicknamed the nav killer, beautiful jet and yes, insanely fast, but my god frightening to go with it.