Hi all

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The 'new' Typhoon is amazing to watch taking off. Just like the old Lightnings. Down the runway a little the straight up. Joys of living and working near to Lossiemouth

First Name
Edward
I really miss living on an RAF base. When at Marham, you could just open the windows and listen to Tonkas all day. Now I live close(ish) to Liverpool airport and all you hear are complaints from the people of Hale about the "noise". They have no appreciation for the smell of F34 and the rumbling in the kidneys hah

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ed. I used to live at Brize (worked in Base Hanger before moving to Saints) and you could hear the old VC10 taking off and carrying on for about 10 miles. Was a pain when you were watching the tv.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The 'new' Typhoon is amazing to watch taking off. Just like the old Lightnings. Down the runway a little the straight up. Joys of living and working near to Lossiemouth
Cor you are lucky Al livein nr a live airbase with the typhoons as coltishall is now a prison an dead as a doornail but back in the days when it was a airbase with the lightnings it was very exciting as you never knew when one would crash as i see an heard the pilots ejecting right over my head an watched the plane go down as the bolts on the radar nose cone came lose an were ingested in to the engines an it crashed about 3 mls away as as us kids rode up on bikes to see just the tail stickin up that was the only bit i could reconise
chris

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Ed from another Aviation type......almost 50 years under me belt as an Airframe and Powerplant type here in the US. Retired a little over a year ago.......sure do miss the smell of JP4 in the morning. Enjoy the Forum.....we're mostly crazy here and those that aren't prolly wish they were :rolling: :thumb2:
Rick H.

First Name
Edward
Welcome Ed from another Aviation type......almost 50 years under me belt as an Airframe and Powerplant type here in the US. Retired a little over a year ago.......sure do miss the smell of JP4 in the morning. Enjoy the Forum.....we're mostly crazy here and those that aren't prolly wish they were :rolling: :thumb2:
Rick H.
Another split brain :smiling3: Thanks for the welcome Rick, I dreamt of getting my hands on some of the nice little air pumps you have over the pond, but alas, not to happen. :sad:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Ed and welcome... Great another crabfat! :smiling5:

So we have pongos, spanner monkeys, I think we have royal navy security... am I the only member of her majesties senior service here? :thinking::tears-of-joy:

Lee

First Name
Edward
Great another crabfat! :smiling5:
Thank you Lee. As a member of the youngest service, I was willing to sacrifice my safety and check the room service and hotel rooms if ever sent on detachment. Unfortunately, I was unable to ensure the safety of the other services as I was never detached anywhere..... :unamused: That's not to say my willingness to be put in harm's way ever wavered, I would have jumped in front of a late bar, or club sandwich and taken the hit to protect any of my distant comrade relatives.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thank you Lee. As a member of the youngest service, I was willing to sacrifice my safety and check the room service and hotel rooms if ever sent on detachment. Unfortunately, I was unable to ensure the safety of the other services as I was never detached anywhere..... :unamused: That's not to say my willingness to be put in harm's way ever wavered, I would have jumped in front of a late bar, or club sandwich and taken the hit to protect any of my distant comrade relatives.

Great to have the banter, even from sprog service! :smiling5:
Welcome aboard... well when you have checked out! :tears-of-joy:

Lee

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
There was always a saying i loved about our lovely armed forces.

In the Navy the officers and grunts go into battle together in a little tin boat
In the Army the officers send the grunts into battle against machine guns.
In the RAF the grunts send the officers into battle then retire to their air conditioned hotel and bar

:smiling3:

First Name
Edward
Working on aircraft gives a very warm fuzzy sensation, usually on Lady's mile beach in Akrotiri (if you were lucky enough to get there) after a couple of cold ones... But more so, knowing we were able to give the Army a lift if they needed one and teach the RN how to fly something that didn't float ;)

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Working on aircraft gives a very warm fuzzy sensation, usually on Lady's mile beach in Akrotiri (if you were lucky enough to get there) after a couple of cold ones... But more so, knowing we were able to give the Army a lift if they needed one and teach the RN how to fly something that didn't float ;)

I had a warm fuzzy feeling once... I divorced her!
Nothing ever came close to the warm fuzzy feeling of being part of a weapons firing mechanism and feeling the recoil, still undecided... 7.62mm gimpy or a 1941 20mm Oerlikon :thinking::smiling4:
I've flew with Crab Air once... note once! Stewards were a bit weird, all that make up... they could of shaved first! :tears-of-joy:
Our WAFUs wouldn't of been able to concentrate that long to fly from Souda Bay back to Brize Norton...

Lee

First Name
Edward
Hi Ed welcome to the group. I'm a big fan of Jags and the Kitty Hawk builds up nice but does put up a fight. Look forward to seeing it. My effort but still needs a RAF pilot
View attachment 401738
I'm confident that mine looks nothing like this (nor will). I'm having issues with paint right now; the gulf war desert pink I've chosen is a nightmare. It reacts when applied by brush or airbrush and no matter how I think it (or not), it will not apply properly (Gulf war pink by Xtracrylix). The model itself is also a pig, nothing lines up, and I'm regretting getting a Kitty Hawk.

Did you notice some of the parts are also incorrectly numbered on the sprues?