Hi all.

First Name
Steve
New on board. Late 60s medically retired, wheelchair bound.
Done a bit of drawing to keep myself busy so thought I would take up this hobby to keep brain and hand linked.
Used to do it a bit in the 60s but not very successful.
Have ordered my first project, a RAF SAR Sea King 1/72.
Got a few tools together and eagerly waiting for the model to arrive.
I’m open to all advice and help available, especially where to purchase models and equipment. Also how to add to the models, ie figures, modifications, different colour schemes etc.
Hope to chat with some of you experts soon. Steve.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Welcome to the best and friendliest modelling forum on the web. The only advice I would give you is blog your build of your Sea King. I guarantee that you will only get helpful and polite support. It's a great way to learn the hobby. Above all 'Have fun' :smiling:
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steve an a welcome from me also an im about to start on a working seaking in 1/72 scale for my hms tiger build an (stillp) Pete is also building one in the heicopter group build if you get your kit an talk to peterairfix he may let you jion his group build have fun
chris b

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi,welcome to the forum,you'll find all the help and advice you need here,no question is a stupid question so feel free to ask anything mate.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum. As Jim has said, blog your build. Don’t be overawed by anything you see on here. There are some great talents, to be sure, but all you will get in return is support, advice and occasional lunacy. Some of it might even be helpful ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steve,
welcome to the forum, I'm not wheelchair bound, but I have mobility problems ( not getting any better! ), ageing is a bit of a bugger!
As for models, make something you're interested in, it's your hobby, you make what you want! I'd advise simpler models to start with - some of the later Far East models can have hundreds of parts & can put you off!, not to mention the prices! Search or ask on the forum if you have a particular model in mind, you can get good pointers, or drawbacks highlighted. The Scale Model Shop is a good place for your modelling needs & the service is very good.
Don't go overboard with tools, at first - a modelling knife, side cutters, sanding sticks are the basics, with the glue of your choice ( I use Revell Contacta ). Several sizes of paintbrushes ( don't buy the cheapos! ). Paint is a personal choice, generally Enamels ( ie Humbrol tinnies ) or Acrylics - which are water based, don't smell & easy to clean up! As you get a few models under your belt - you'll find more and more tools to add to your box, but don't ignore household items, like pins, pegs, they all can be used.
Main thing is to enjoy it - don't push yourself to finish something - it'll still be there tomorrow!
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome Steve!
Glad to see we're your forum of choice - your first and best I would venture to suggest! As has been said already don't get disheartened, remember 'Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey!'
Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello Steve. Welcome....

Join and have fun.

Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Steve!!

ATB.

Andrew

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Welcome Steve.

I’m a newbie on here too and it is a very friendly forum. I am sure you will get lots of help if you ask ;)

Geoff.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome. You have definitely picked the best forum to join, all the lunatics included ! ;) .
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve and welcome, we wear mittens instead of boxing gloves and matron uses the feather side of the duster on us to keep us in check...gentlemen we are. :face-with-head-bandage:... closes thing to a helo on an imoji after matrons duster wack.:smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hello Steve and welcome to the funny farm!! Hope to see some of your efforts posted up.....got questions?.......just ask, you won't have long to wait for an answer. Main thing here is to have fun, make friends and enjoy yourself in the process......oh yeah, build a model once in awhile! ;) Rick H.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Steve and welcome to THE forum.
We are here for the fun and giving back so there is plenty of help to be had regardless of what you build. We have al kinds here, from beginers to totally insane.
As said there is a Helicopter Group build running and loads can be gleaned from that.
You ask the best place to buy kits and tools.
THE Scale Model Shop (if you are in the UK that is). There is a link in the banner at the top of the start page. The shop is owned by the owner of the forum so using his shop also helps the forum. I think most that use his shop will agree: fast service and great prices!

Look forwards to seeing you around.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Steve and welcome to our merry band of plastic welders. It really is a great place to enjoy your newly rekindled hobby.