HI Guys, new need to ask some questions. Airbrush advice!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi alexander , welcome to the forum. As for the question , well there are loads of different things people use and im sure theyll all give you their take on it. Personally i usually use tamiya acrylics , xtracrylix and sometimes vallejo and citadel paints. I use screen wash ( wilkinsons own brand) to clean the AB and sometimes if its a bit dried on, a bit of tamiya thinners. Steve (stona) swears by a product called muc off, a cleaner meant for bikes and available from halfords, he says it cleans everything up great . Im sure there will be some that other people use but its a bit of info to be going on with . hope this helps cheers tony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I use Halfords screen wash and the moment it's BOGOF so you get 10ltrs for about £5, but I also use Medea Airbrush Cleaner when I give it a full clean, I'm also thinking about getting a Ultrasonic Cleaner but not sure how good they are.

F

Fenlander

In your review of the Iwata airbrush John, you mentioned cleaners and such. Any chance of you stocking the ones you mention? I, like most, use thinners and screen wash to do general cleaning but some of the deep cleaning stuff, reamer or whatever you call it, would be worth having in the 'cave'.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Yes I plan on getting the Medea cleaners and reamers soon

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I use Halfords screen wash and the moment it's BOGOF so you get 10ltrs for about £5, but I also use Medea Airbrush Cleaner when I give it a full clean, I'm also thinking about getting a Ultrasonic Cleaner but not sure how good they are.
Hi John,I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner but a friend recently bought one and is very impressed. He's an experienced modeller who uses all sorts of paints so I expect that they "do what it says on the tin".

Cheers

Steve

C

Cov1

Hi chaps just noticed this thread, interesting stuff as one day I will be venturing into the airbrush world.

Great tips thanks.

Ade

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
sorry for late reply internets been off. WOW im using halfords own screen wash and really cleaning the muc out! thank you all so much. plus in using the little tooth brushes for people with braces.

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
\ said:
Hi John,I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner but a friend recently bought one and is very impressed. He's an experienced modeller who uses all sorts of paints so I expect that they "do what it says on the tin".Cheers

Steve
Which ultrasonic cleaner? i think that may make life alot easier

R

RM4U

Hi Alex,

Airbrushes.com do two types of Sonic Cleaners. I use the cheaper one model VGT-2000.

These cleaners have a tray to hold the item that you wish to clean inside the tank, which sits in the fluid (nomally water,) which you fill to the level marker inside the tank. The tank of water is then bomarded with sonic waves. What you should do is place the item you wish to clean in the tray, but if you want to use a cleaning fluid, then you should place the item in a small container (better with a lid) and then place that container in the tray and then the container will also be subjected to sonic waves. The reason for not filling the tank with cleaning fluid, is the tank does heat up slightly and fumes could then be given off, plus using a small container means you will only use a small amount of cleaner. After each use you should empty the tank and dry it with a cloth.

I use mine for cleaning the nozzle, but it won't always clear dry/hard paint residue inside the nozzle. If this is the case, then clear the build up by using the plastic tube on the Liquid Reamer aerosol and blow reamer through the point of the nozzle.

Never immerse the whole airbrush in any type of cleaning fluid or the sonic cleaner tank.

The sonic cleaners are great for other cleaning jobs like braclets and rings etc.

Have a look on Scale-Model-Shop as John may sell these cleaners, or be starting to stock them.

I hope the above helps.

Regards,

Leslie.

RailwayModels4U

Leslie.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Have a look on Scale-Model-Shop as John may sell these cleaners, or be starting to stock them.

I don't stock them at the moment but will do very soon, if you need one I will be happy to get one for you sooner

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Oh bugger I have left both my brush to soak in screenwash over night. Have I just wrecked my brushes?

R

RM4U

Hi Alex,

Not sure what Screen Wash will do to the working parts and seals. However, I would soak it in plain warm water as soon as possible and try not to operate it or move the (Main Lever) trigger. I would use a plastic tub with a lid and swish it around in the tube for a while. Then take the airbrush out of the water and give it a dam good shake. Then to get rid of any water left inside spray it with IPA 170 (Isopropyl Alcohol) and shake it again, which should get rid of any dampness and will then dry as the alcohol evaporates. Better still, if you have a spare or old airbrush; you can use it to blow any water etc, from the area around the trigger assembly after spraying it with IPA 170.

The area around the trigger is important, as below the trigger plunger assembly; is a seal called the Packing Air Valve Piston "O" Ring and then the Air Valve Plunger with "O" Ring which allows the air to enter the airbrush and should any solvent such as Liquid Reamer or the other chemical that attacks rubber, get on these two seals it may damage them. If this does happen, the two parts mentioned can be purchased from www.airbrushes.com or you could send the airbrush to them and they will repair it for you. You will know if you have damaged these "O" Rings as you hear air escaping and or the air will not shut off completely when you let go of the trigger.

When you have dried the airbrush, you should undo the Needle Chucking Guide and Auxilliary Lever and dismantle it to dry out the Needle Spring etc. I would also spray IPA on all these parts and whilst you have the (NCG+AL) out of the airbrush, spray some IPA down through the needle channel to help dry out any chemicals in the airbrush body. If you goto airbrushes.com and select your Iwata Airbrush Model and click on View Parts, you will see all the parts of your particular airbrush; which will also give you an idea of how it all comes apart and where the seals are. The seals inside the body of the airbrush are made of Teflon, which is resistant to most chemical cleaners.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Leslie.

RM4U

The above may not happen but you should not immerse an airbrush in any type of chemical for the above reason !!!

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think you'll be okay. Whilst I agree that it is inadvisable to soak the entire brush in anything screenwashes are usually relatively mild solutions ,even undiluted. Follow Leslie's guide above and even if a couple of seals have been damaged they are easily and cheaply fixed...Phew! You certainly haven't ruined the airbrushes.

It will also provide you with a chance to strip down and familiarise yourself with the brushes which is not as scary as it first seems. I usually strip mine down and do a "deep" clean at the end of a project as a matter of course.

Maplins do IPA,I bought some from the one in Solihull about three months ago.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RM4U

Hi Steve,

Nice one.

I was not sure what strength Screen Wash is and what it does for airbrushes, other than it helps clean fly mess from the car windscreen.

Regards,

Leslie.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Which ultrasonic cleaner? i think that may make life alot easier
I've just got the ultrasonic cleaners in stock, I've tried one myself and it makes life a lot easier, I keep my brush clean but I put it in without using it and it still brought off bit's that I missed, I mixed 70% water and 30% Medea Airbrush Cleaner all shiny and new again :smiling3: