Hi members :-)

First Name
David
Hi from York, UK.
I've decided to build the famous Christopher Columbus' 15th c. Spanish galleon ship "Santa Maria". But here's the curve ball, I need it to sit on top of a pram frame so I can push it around the pavements as a street theatre concept I have in mind. The last time I built a scale model was forty years ago as a boy so hoping this forum might be able to help by the way of deciding what weather proof and light weight materials I could use for the build :smiling:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wellcome David i build ships as well so you in good company
chrisb

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I did a 'Pirate Ship' float for my wife's school and the local Carnival some 14/15 years ago; used 9mm MDF over 2x1" frames on an extended pram base. Soaked everything in diluted PVA (several coats!) 4 primary School kids could tow it! Slightly damaged (masts and rigging gone!) but it lasted until last year in the classroom as a play area. Might work for you me 'earty!
Steve

First Name
David
I did a 'Pirate Ship' float for my wife's school and the local Carnival some 14/15 years ago; used 9mm MDF over 2x1" frames on an extended pram base. Soaked everything in diluted PVA (several coats!) 4 primary School kids could tow it! Slightly damaged (masts and rigging gone!) but it lasted until last year in the classroom as a play area. Might work for you me 'earty!
Steve
Wow this sounds like what I need to do, thank you for detailing your build :smiling:

First Name
David
Never built a model ship before but I've decided to go DIY with zero carpentry skills!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL David if you look in the ships under constructions section you will see my hms tiger build in wood so that might help you
chrisb

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Never built a model ship before but I've decided to go DIY with zero carpentry skills!
Limited carpentry skills needed (Don't look at Boatman as he'll just depress you!) - make it waterline, if you can find serrated MDF then use it as it's easier to introduce curves; otherwise dampen and clamp it to make the bow and stern profiles . Seriously mate, it's not that difficult - just reduce your expectations (ie the inward curve from waterline to to deck (aka tumblehome), simplify everything, then use paint to represent depth,shadows etc! Use white clothesline (soaked in dilute black paint) for rigging, simplify the masts and yards with appropriate thickness circular fence posts and 'broom sticks' and, finally (la 'Piece de Resistance') - sails from skanky old bedsheets (with PVA naturally) and , of course the glorious Cross of Maria in red! If it looks good the it is ,,, accuracy is secondary to the overall effect! Good Luck, look forward to the result!
Steve

First Name
David
Limited carpentry skills needed (Don't look at Boatman as he'll just depress you!) - make it waterline, if you can find serrated MDF then use it as it's easier to introduce curves; otherwise dampen and clamp it to make the bow and stern profiles . Seriously mate, it's not that difficult - just reduce your expectations (ie the inward curve from waterline to to deck (aka tumblehome), simplify everything, then use paint to represent depth,shadows etc! Use white clothesline (soaked in dilute black paint) for rigging, simplify the masts and yards with appropriate thickness circular fence posts and 'broom sticks' and, finally (la 'Piece de Resistance') - sails from skanky old bedsheets (with PVA naturally) and , of course the glorious Cross of Maria in red! If it looks good the it is ,,, accuracy is secondary to the over