Miko's Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane mkI 'bee'

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
As the RAF brought into service it's first swept wing jets such as the Supermarine Swift and Hawker Hunter in the early 1950's to replace it's first generation Gloster Meteors and DH Vampires a tactical requirement was discovered, the new jets were fast and agile but tactics needed to be developed to intercept slower piston engine aircraft and helicopters, early jets had no means of decelerating rapidly to engage such targets so techniques needed to be developed, for this purpose Hawker Aircraft Limited created the high conspicuity Hurricane mk1'bee' to allow their Hunter fighter to practice engagement manoeuvres on slower moving aircraft.

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-29.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-31.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-32.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-33.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-34.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-35.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-mk-I-36.jpg

Miko (this was actually done using a Spitfire PR19s for EE Lightnings )

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
You're not going to miss that one on the line!!!! (You try and find a dark grey Sea King on the line at night?????)

Nice job there Miko in a rather unique colour scheme.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Was the yellow hard to spray as normally it's hard to get a full depth like that.

Yep, I remember thinking my aibrush must be faulty, them some time later thinking 'wow I've been doing this ages!' only for more time to pass and it occur to me that I considered I had been a long time. . . a long time ago!!! Whaaaa!!! It took a paint cup reload with MrHobby H4 with tiny amount of thinner to get it done!

Conspicuity? Conspicuous-ness...

Hi-viz! And dazzling with it!

Yep, Conspicuous-ness as it the 'official' name for raspberry ripple being . . . 'MoD (PE) High Conspicuity Paint Scheme'

and dazzling, sure is!
You're not going to miss that one on the line!!!! (You try and find a dark grey Sea King on the line at night?????)

Nice job there Miko in a rather unique colour scheme.

Yep, that's the point of camouflage I suppose, it's based on 'Target Tug' markings, I built a Westland Lysanader in stripey black and yellow, I tried to get the diagonal markings but it was too difficult to get to look right

Miko (at some point in the future when I'm feeling particularly brave I'll attempt Canberra WK128 which is raspberry ripple on top and high visibility Target Tug black and yellow on the undersides, the most colourful military jet ever? could be!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Yep, I remember thinking my aibrush must be faulty, them some time later thinking 'wow I've been doing this ages!' only for more time to pass and it occur to me that I considered I had been a long time. . . a long time ago!!! Whaaaa!!! It took a paint cup reload with MrHobby H4 with tiny amount of thinner to get it done!

Yep, Conspicuous-ness as it the 'official' name for raspberry ripple being . . . 'MoD (PE) High Conspicuity Paint Scheme'

and dazzling, sure is!

Yep, that's the point of camouflage I suppose, it's based on 'Target Tug' markings, I built a Westland Lysanader in stripey black and yellow, I tried to get the diagonal markings but it was too difficult to get to look right

Miko (at some point in the future when I'm feeling particularly brave I'll attempt Canberra WK128 which is raspberry ripple on top and high visibility Target Tug black and yellow on the undersides, the most colourful military jet ever? could be!
I have a funny story about a Canberra target plane. In a nutshell. Canberra, obviously towing a target for a CIWS exercise in the Portland exercise areas. CIWS hits target and continues to chew its way up the tow rope towards the towing aircraft. I bet the pilot couldn't jettison the tow cable fast enough!!!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one. lol

They painted target tugs in a similar fashion. I always think of a 'famous' radio shout from a tug pilot to the 'attackers'..
"Hey guys I'm not pushing the ****ing target"

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Miko that’s snazzy reminds me of a flying Dodge Super Bee. Great paint job on this one for sure

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
WOW! Epileptics beware - that's very psychedelic indeed!

What a super idea for a scheme and a great looking build! :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: