HMS Dido either 1/96 or 1/128

silverfoxcc

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I am getting everything together to build the above. Anyone who has or is building her willing to offer some tips
It will be a static model
Thanks.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ron why two different scales ? or are you still makin up your mind which to do an in my opinion the 1/96 is better as you can see he detail better I know a little bit about ships an she is a destroyer I think isn't she an why DIDO ? but whatever you decide I hope you enjoy the build
chris

Last edited:

silverfoxcc

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chris

To answer your questions Dido is classed as light Cruiser,and Fad was on her during the Arctic runs. I am not that of a perfectionist as to model it as it was at 15.00 on the 14 DEc 1944, but get a close enough representation

Scale Haven't made up my mind yet. Either get the 1/128 Fleetscale which gives a very comprehensive parts pack but no bridge fittings, which means doing a lot of fiddling. A completely empty bridge devoid of evertything would do my head in!!!

OR go for the 1/96 which has the bridge fittings as far as i can tell. As regards other fittings, i found it hard to dechiper what some thing actually are. for example thre are 9 different locker references with no indication of size whatsoever,

silverfoxcc

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello Peter

Nice TR4!!

Doing Dido herself

i think our posts may have crossed lol

Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Ron, it's a TR4A that I restored in the eighties, and still have.
Ah, the WW2 Dido. I was asking because there's someone I know modelling the later Dido, the frigate from the 1960s.
Pete

silverfoxcc

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My Dad and i went aboard her ( F104) when she was at Chatham Navy Day in about 1965 ( or was it Pompey!!) We used to go to every one. Anyway once he got on board he mentioned that he had been on the old girl and from then on was treated like royalty both by the ratings who took him to the forward mess and gave him some 'refreshments' via the POs mess and then was collared by the officers who took us on a tour of the ship where public were barred. spent a lot of time in the engine room where he served on her predecessor. I had to drive home for him Spent about three hours on her, with him giving some lovely dits, some of which i heard for the first time!!
Had a Dolly for sometime, My lad got the bug and now is rebuilding a Sprint and a 1500.