First Name
John
Well worth the extra effort Carl.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
IKB eh! Victorian self assurance at its best. When he designed the GWR main line from Bristol to London he arranged it so that the sun shines through box tunnel on his birthday!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Great work Carl, makes me wonder what i have let myself in for lol

First Name
Carl
Great work Carl, makes me wonder what i have let myself in for lol
I think the fact that I have only done short sessions when I can fit around work has made it easier going in that some of the more tedious task as mentioned are spread out. To be fair, those coal grates are not going to be on many ships so this is probably an exception. I guess the rigging is quite taxing but again I’ve just done little bits at a time and it soon takes shape.
live looked at HMS Hood and visually it looks easier to build compared to HMS Dreadnought but only time will tell.
Either way, I need some more relaxing build next so will most likely Build the P-61 Black Widow.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
IKB eh! Victorian self assurance at its best. When he designed the GWR main line from Bristol to London he arranged it so that the sun shines through box tunnel on his birthday!
Thus giving rise to the expression "That Isambard, the sun shines out of his boxhole". Something like that anyway.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Carl,
HMS Hood was oil fired - just connect up a few pipes & there you go! Only warships really went through the horrors of coaling - their armour plating meant that you couldn't have large convenient holes in the side to get the coal through! Merchant ships didn't have that problem & passenger ships had purpose built chutes, so they could load coal faster & cleaner! - Which is why the older coal fired ships had such large crews!.
As an aside, the limiting factor of speed in the early destroyers wasn't the engines, or the hull form - it was the strength & stamina of the stokers! You only had a limited number of stokers - If you had more stokers, the ship had to be bigger, and the coal bunkers became more widespread. So as coal was used up, the trimmers had more difficulty in supplying coal to the stokers. Running at full speed would quickly exhaust the stokers ( and I'm talking about hours, not days! ). One of the main reasons that destroyers were oil fired pretty quickly
Dave

First Name
Carl
Carl,
HMS Hood was oil fired - just connect up a few pipes & there you go! Only warships really went through the horrors of coaling - their armour plating meant that you couldn't have large convenient holes in the side to get the coal through! Merchant ships didn't have that problem & passenger ships had purpose built chutes, so they could load coal faster & cleaner! - Which is why the older coal fired ships had such large crews!.
As an aside, the limiting factor of speed in the early destroyers wasn't the engines, or the hull form - it was the strength & stamina of the stokers! You only had a limited number of stokers - If you had more stokers, the ship had to be bigger, and the coal bunkers became more widespread. So as coal was used up, the trimmers had more difficulty in supplying coal to the stokers. Running at full speed would quickly exhaust the stokers ( and I'm talking about hours, not days! ). One of the main reasons that destroyers were oil fired pretty quickly
Dave
Yep, who’d want that job now a days..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As a follow up..................
The destroyers, before being accepted by the Navy had to run speed trials. There were cash bonuses for every .25 knot above the contract speed, and penalties & even rejection below .
The builders used to employ specially trained teams of stokers, and literally hand picked the optimum size chunks of best Welsh steam coal, to give them the best chance of gaining bonuses!
Dave

First Name
Carl
I tried to burnish my chains but to be honest it just didn’t seem black enough so I’m the end I resulted to spray painting them in MRP black. Because the MRP paint is so thin it doesn’t seem to clog the chains.
The MRP is smelly paint to spray but it really is amazing stuff to use. Just work well every time I use the stuff.
Need to buy some more soon I think.
51C3BC56-3491-4A84-9D5A-C6BE444A43B9.jpeg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely Carl

Learning a lot for my ship attempts!