HMS DREADNOUGHT 1906

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice Carl. I've often thought about building one of these earlier battleships. I coped with later ships rigging on my Bismark and KG5, but looking at the box art of your 1907 Dreadnought - I would not have a chance in hell of doing that spider's web, which will be a real eye catcher and will finish the ship off very nicely.

Good stuff.

First Name
Carl
Very nice Carl. I've often thought about building one of these earlier battleships. I coped with later ships rigging on my Bismark and KG5, but looking at the box art of your 1907 Dreadnought - I would not have a chance in hell of doing that spider's web, which will be a real eye catcher and will finish the ship off very nicely.

Good stuff.
Likewise, I’ve struggled with a bit on bi-planes so this will be a challenge. It may be that I have to simplify the rigging a little, have to see when I get to it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
put a coat of grey primer followed by a coat of Flat black. Also had a go at some PE for one of the ship Parts. It looks ok without my glasses on but a little bendy in places with. Definitely Not easy trying to
Bend around so many corners.
Depending how it looks when primed I may rip it off and start again. View attachment 411153View attachment 411154
Very nice sir, interested in the stretchy string stuff and how you get on with it!

First Name
Carl
Very nice sir, interested in the stretchy string stuff and how you get on with it!
I know from the Queen Mary I used normal type cotton which doesn’t stretch so it may be right when you fix it but as soon as you attached the next piece it loosens the one you just did and so you end up with saggy rigging. The stretchy type has plenty of give so in
Theory this should be less Likely to occur . We will see of course when I test it out which will be one of the final jobs.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ez-line (stretchy stuff) is great to work with. If you don’t use too much tension it stays taught but will spring back if you catch it by accident.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Two choices here...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Ah, the mighty Dreadnought - one of the causes of The Great War
Now, I'm a pre-Dreadnought man, myself, but I do have two attempts at the 1/700 card kit - with the intention of doing the trials version with all the extra QF guns atop the turrets - I'll be interested in your EZ line results...

But as you were mentioning French ships earlier, Combrig do the Hoche and Dupuy de Lome in 1/350 resin kits - pricey though
And if you want REAL steampunk, the latter ship must be seen to be believed...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My only tip regarding the EZ line type rigging threads is to wear some form of "surgical glue" If you have the slightest rough skin on your fingers it snags and catches like mad.
I gave up and now use (mostly) thin fly tying thread. Its smooth, no fray and looks ok. However you need to be very careful when tensioning as it has ZERO stretch. Bent yardarms and masts are very easy to make!

First Name
Carl
Ah, the mighty Dreadnought - one of the causes of The Great War
Now, I'm a pre-Dreadnought man, myself, but I do have two attempts at the 1/700 card kit - with the intention of doing the trials version with all the extra QF guns atop the turrets - I'll be interested in your EZ line results...

But as you were mentioning French ships earlier, Combrig do the Hoche and Dupuy de Lome in 1/350 resin kits - pricey though
And if you want REAL steampunk, the latter ship must be seen to be believed...
Some interesting models on the Combig website.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nothing to have nightmares about is there Ron? Like all tasks, work methodically, think before you act and don’t rush. Work bottom to top and inside to out so you don’t have to reach inside finished work to fit newer lines. Lastly, when you get stressed by it (you will) rest a while and do something less exacting. Come back to it when you’re ready. It will go by faster and better than you think.

First Name
Carl
Nothing to have nightmares about is there Ron? Like all tasks, work methodically, think before you act and don’t rush. Work bottom to top and inside to out so you don’t have to reach inside finished work to fit newer lines. Lastly, when you get stressed by it (you will) rest a while and do something less exacting. Come back to it when you’re ready. It will go by faster and better than you think.
Lol, I didn’t read the instructions properly when I did that bit of railing so did the outside rail first and then struggled to do the inside. Learned two valuable lessons which as you said is work inside to outside and even more importantly read the instructions properly.