HMS DREADNOUGHT 1906

First Name
Carl
I e sprayed my hull, Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red which according to the instructions is the correct colour. However, it’s very much more bergundy/brown looking to me. I’ve seen other models on line, some clearly painted in the same colour and others a more more red colour. Does anyone know what the actual colour would ha e been?BA18929C-2CFD-4235-9E78-0EF498F40A64.jpeg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I think its generally red/brown ish

On modelships in the KGV section its being discussed

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Carl. It would be anti fouling red, a red lead colour. I agree that the hull red looks a little too brown.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
KGV was probably dark grey, the same as HMS Hood at the time of her sinking.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, and the bit below the waterline is in very few pictures.....so i# even more like guesswork than usual!

First Name
Carl
Well I think this one might be staying brown as I dont think I want to spray it again.
seems odd that tamiya would get the colour wrong though.
the other issue was how thick the black pin stripe is along the water line. The instructions are as I’ve done it which is about 2mm on my scale but I’ve seen others that look double that. Could only find one black and white dry dock picture and you just can’t see the black stripe at all.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This might help, though I would be surprised if there are not other sites that contradict it....
From that it looks like Dreadnought didn’t have any boot topping (Black pin stripe) This may well be why you can’t see it in pictures.

First Name
Carl
Cheers Tim, like the way it says “no apparent” boot line which is the same as saying no one really seems to know...I think this one may have some artistic licence..lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, it’s about 120 years old, so as long as you pick a logical scheme who is going to know better.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I cried when this into came forth. AFTER I had built my HOOD.
Ain’t that always the way though.......I remember once scratch building an LMS parcel van in my railway days....took about a month. I unveiled it at the club and someone said “that’s nice, is it the Lima ready to run model”.

• Wow
Reactions: JR
First Name
Carl
I might cause some controversy here but the wood decking I ordered and was expected around March has arrived early. I have checked the thinness and it measures 0.22mm with a vernier. It’s thinner than I expected and to be honest it doesn’t look too bad. I’m now reconsidering using it seeing as I have it anyway. Here’s a small sample for one of the little deck prices. Not stuck do not completely flat but you get the idea.
8A7B8CB9-3327-4C51-B666-BEBEDC194FE3.jpegDFB6A26A-375F-455F-AE89-24792491754A.jpeg
oh, and I de coded to spray the hull again, well over the current browny colour with a cadnium red that I had. I’ll do a coat and rub it down a little and then apply a second coat and see how it looks.depending on the outcome the under brown might act as a kind of pre shading. It kinda looks ok patchy from the first coat but I’ll have to decide in the daylight as artificial lighting plays havoc on the eyes with colour.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks good to me, its self adhesive?? Never seen it in the wood so to speak. I have bought 2 cheap kits both with wooden decks so will use it anyway.

Been looking more and its a large can of worms what colours what??

First Name
Carl
Don’t take any notice of me Carl, if you want to have a go at a wooden deck, then more power to your elbow! Same for you Bob.
I,m still not totally committed Tim but at first glance it looks better than expected. I will dry fit them and decide. My only initial thought is they look quite light, I almost feel like they need a bit of stain but I’m not going to do that so I’ll accept clean decks. I’ve got to paint up the greys and see how things look.
what with wood decisions and hull colours and pin stripes it’s definitely harder when the factual information is difficult to clarify.
carl

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think the decks would have been light and pretty clean Carl. They were holy stoned daily by the crew, so were basically freshly sanded teak in appearacne.