HMS DREADNOUGHT 1906

First Name
Carl
I have not progressed as much as I’d have liked with the ship as I seem to go one step forward and two back.
However, my current issue is with fixing the rigging lines.
There must be an easier method than I’m currently trying as it’s very much hit and miss and by this I mean more miss than hit.
I have been using super glue to glue either end and sometimes after a few seconds it sticks and I let the easy line go and it’s fine. However, more often it springs off having not stuck and usually sticks to something else or else the end goes hard and it’s even more difficult to glue there after. Initially I drilled small holes to try and poke the rigging into but this has also not proved very successful. It’s a very frustrating task and I can’t help thinking there must be a more reliable method to approach this so any help is great fully appreciated.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I have not progressed as much as I’d have liked with the ship as I seem to go one step forward and two back.
However, my current issue is with fixing the rigging lines.
There must be an easier method than I’m currently trying as it’s very much hit and miss and by this I mean more miss than hit.
I have been using super glue to glue either end and sometimes after a few seconds it sticks and I let the easy line go and it’s fine. However, more often it springs off having not stuck and usually sticks to something else or else the end goes hard and it’s even more difficult to glue there after. Initially I drilled small holes to try and poke the rigging into but this has also not proved very successful. It’s a very frustrating task and I can’t help thinking there must be a more reliable method to approach this so any help is great fully appreciated.
HI Carl dont know if this is much help to you as i build in a bigger scale but to attche rigging wires i use some tiny wire trace with a loop on one end they are about 2mm so glue wire to the 0 part of the trace an the loop it over the yardarm

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Carl,
I use an accelerator, or 'kicker' for CA in those cases. A drop of CA applied to the anchor point, and a drop of accelerator on the rigging end ( or vice versa ), they bond instantly on touch. It's a tricky procedure, you need steady hands! I bought my accelerator in a spray can, but decant a little into a tin lid & apply by dipping, or paintbrush - you have to be quick, as it evaporates speedily...................
Dave

First Name
Carl
HI Carl dont know if this is much help to you as i build in a bigger scale but to attche rigging wires i use some tiny wire trace with a loop on one end they are about 2mm so glue wire to the 0 part of the trace an the loop it over the yardarm
I’d like to see a picture of this if you have a close up image?

First Name
Carl
Carl,
I use an accelerator, or 'kicker' for CA in those cases. A drop of CA applied to the anchor point, and a drop of accelerator on the rigging end ( or vice versa ), they bond instantly on touch. It's a tricky procedure, you need steady hands! I bought my accelerator in a spray can, but decant a little into a tin lid & apply by dipping, or paintbrush - you have to be quick, as it evaporates speedily...................
Dave
Yeah, I could give this a try, I think I have some in may garage somewhere. Yes I do unless it goes off, it’s a few years old
EB96F12E-62F2-49D2-8039-6824335079E5.jpeg

Last edited:
First Name
Carl
Carl,
Dave
Ah yes, that method works great Dave, just tried one line and it stuck instantly. Good tip

First Name
Carl
Th
Carl,

Looking good. The wooden decking looks great.
Thanks Scottie,
In hind site the only thing to remember which is probably pretty obvious if I bothered to think about it is that because you are adding about 0.23mm in thickness to your deck you need to keep that in mind when structures fit on top of it. With such delicate parts even very small amount can cause real
Headaches when you find the legs holding the platform are just a touch short meaning either it’s sits too low or else wonky. Ultimately where any decks are involved it would of been better to fit the deck around the existing parts rather than sit the deck on top. Something for me to consider should I use it again for the next ship.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Carl, another quick tip.
If the rigging line doesn't adhere first go, nip off the end before trying again. For some reason trying to stick the original end a second time makes the job harder and doesn't always work.....

.....I don't know either. :upside:

First Name
Carl
Carl, another quick tip.
If the rigging line doesn't adhere first go, nip off the end before trying again. For some reason trying to stick the original end a second time makes the job harder and doesn't always work.....

.....I don't know either. :upside:
Yep, I’ve found that out the hard way. It’s like the dry superglue won’t adhere to the wet superglue. Who knew..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
....and don’t get debonder by mistake :tongue-out3:

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Carl. Beautiful attention to detail. Looking forward to seeing the next update

First Name
Carl
One of the little steam powered barges put together with a little Eduard cabin bit and a little sailer stood next to it..
Also a quick shot of the super structure to show that there is some progress. Some of it looks like it was put together by a 6 year old but as usual there are many things to learn to do better for next time.
54B201D7-B32F-4648-88EB-2318CC0595F1.jpegimage.jpg
And one of the big guns:-
2775D0C2-6A0E-4183-8C17-9DFB720D06ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks great Carl. Really nice job. It looks suitably busy and etch has lifted it considerably.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Coming along very well!

Can i ask a ? Did the wooden deck cause any issues fitting the superstruture, and how did you glue it in place, i am worried about glue marks etc on the deck where it meets the superstructure??

Thanks bob

First Name
Carl
Coming along very well!

Can i ask a ? Did the wooden deck cause any issues fitting the superstruture, and how did you glue it in place, i am worried about glue marks etc on the deck where it meets the superstructure??

Thanks bob
Hi Bob, the wood deck itself is self adhesive and caused no issues.
the wood deck has all the holes in it for placement of super structure and other parts. The main deck has a rsised lip to which the super structure fits. rather Than stick to the wood itself I was using this raised edge to glue to. this seems to have worked ok. Of course as thin as the wood is it has raised the super structure by about 0.24mm which did cause me a few issues with little tower structures as in affect there legs were slightly short. In hind site it might of been easier long term to trim the wood around the plastic parts but this seemed like a lot of work and a higher potential of damaging the delicate wood deck.
you can always make new structure legs using some copper pipe or similar and just make them a touch longer so with some thought this might have made the fit easier.
That said, I mostly got away with it although a few areas are probably not as level as they should be.
As I say, as long as you take into account the small additional thickness then you can adapt certain parts as you go.