HMS DREADNOUGHT 1906

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Carl, appreciated

Will start KGV in the near future. Bought a wooden deck so all new too me as well. Trying to get PE set but hard to find unless you want to pay a lot!

First Name
Carl
Cheers Carl, appreciated

Will start KGV in the near future. Bought a wooden deck so all new too me as well. Trying to get PE set but hard to find unless you want to pay a lot!
I find a lot of the pe is just too small or delicate to use. I think the biggest improvement with pe is the railings which you can buy cheaper in 1:350 to most ships.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice progress Carl.

A good while ago, my one attempt at P.E. railings ended up in the bin as I could never, no matter what I tried, get the railings running straight and true. They looked awful and just not good enough.

First Name
Carl
Does anyone know what the measurement of a chain link in mm’s would be for 1:350 scale ships. I have several chains but can’t decide which looks the correct scale.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I reckon about 1.5 to 2mm should be about right. Most warships use studded chain
studded anchor chain.jpg
It prevents kinking & fouling & adds weight - it's a lot more expensive than normal chain!
Dave

First Name
Carl
I reckon about 1.5 to 2mm should be about right. Most warships use studded chain
View attachment 415226
It prevents kinking & fouling & adds weight - it's a lot more expensive than normal chain!
Dave
Thanks Dave, I have a few chains in my box which vary slightly in size so I’ll use the closest match and try to blacken it slightly with the MIG etch burnishing fluid.

First Name
Carl
I’ve decided to fit the many coal grates which there are roughly 58 in total over the deck. Because I fitted the wood deck that additional thickness meant these sank a little too deep into the deck holes. As luck would have it the wood deck also come with its own set of etched coal grates so I basically fitted the original 58 first as a packer and then fitted the 58 more to bring the grates to the correct level, give or take. So a tedious task was twice as tedious.
All part of the fun of shop building.
Some of them will need some grey paint touching up.
1D9933FF-1384-40B7-8268-5F5391D6AE78.jpeg