HMS Leander - maybe

M

middle_watch

Hi all. Hit this site while pondering re-starting a project I started about 30 years ago.

I used to be a keen modeller as a teenager, airfix plastic mainly, but also attempted RC aircraft, boats, cars etc. I was particularly fascinated with ships and one day found a small scale Leander class, post war type. I thought the model a bit boring and decided to try my hand at a conversion, my first. I had a picture of an Ikara version and had a bash at it, I was really pleased with the result and decided trying my hand at an RC balsa version.

But as luck would have it I could not lay hands on the balsa Leander kit that was available in those days, and after scouring the shops settled for an RC trainer that never left the ground except when finally hurled off a hill in frustration. It flew then, briefly.

Soon after I dropped out of school and joined the Royal Navy. By some quirk of fate I spent my first years on Ikara Leanders (Naiad, Arethusa and Aurora)

Lately I have been finding time on my hands and subscribed to the Deagostini Spitfire mag, build your own RC spitfire is about a thousand episodes, it seemed a cheaper option than buying a whole model and finding out I was not into it anymore!

Well it is has fired my interest and I recalled my last model plan, I have already sent for a model plan of the Leander and mean to give it a good go. It will be my first ever scratch build attempt.

Any info, hints, would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
A

adzam

hello and welcome mate,

you dont have to go full scratct buildthere are semi jits, or hulls available for leander class boats,

Sirmar lists one ,( http://www.tmmuk.com/sirmar_new/) and i beleive george may be able to help you out if drawings are needed, george has a wealth of information at his fingertips an if info is required on the grey funnel line .

but otherwise please feel free to pose questions etc.

we`ll try and help where possible.

cheers

aDz..

G

George

Mike,

First can I welcome you to the group. then start asking questions. What scale would you like to work in and to help to define that there are 3 other questions that I ask people. What sort of work space do you have for model building. What transport do you have for getting the model to and from the sailing water. What do you want from the model as far as details etc are concerned.

The scale 1/96th Paul Beckley [sirmar] does is a handy size if space is limited but it can be a rather tender model and working on models of that size can be awkward, knocking bit off while doing normal running jobs at the pond size.

There is another scale 1/72nd which gives a larger model but at the same time allows more detail and simpler to work on.

If you want more info then get back to me off group at

gpeat@globalnet.co.uk

the reason I say off group as replies can take up a bit of group space.

ATB :wheelchai :wheelchai :scotland: :scotland:

M

middle_watch

Mike,First can I welcome you to the group. then start asking questions. What scale would you like to work in and to help to define that there are 3 other questions that I ask people. What sort of work space do you have for model building. What transport do you have for getting the model to and from the sailing water. What do you want from the model as far as details etc are concerned.
Thanks for the response, I will certainly take up your offer of getting more detailed help without bogging down the group! But to answer the general points

1. I have a 2 metre dedicated workbench in a 10x8 foot shed which I installed with just this kind of thing in mind

2. We are buying a trailer in a couple of months for another reason, just a standard 2 wheel tipping bucket, I had in mind utilising that, probably with some sort of bracket. Though where to sail I confess I had not considered yet, but there are lots of man made ponds and lakes appearing in this area as the mines are reclaimed.

3. Basically I want to build a very detailed model which can be displayed in and out of the water but which can also function.

I know I am being overly ambitious and should start with something easier, but I am not in a rush, it is the modeling and not the finished product that is my main interest. And to be honest building plastic aircraft dripping with bombs and rockets just does not do it for me anymore, even if my two boys do enjoy using them as BB gun practise!

My reason for not considering a part kit are entirely practical, I have just spent a few months among the unemployed and have only recently got back to earning so funds are a bit limited for the next couple of months until the bills are caught up on! I thought the plans option would at least get me started.

View attachment 7662

/monthly_2005_06/p.JPG.3ff5ae815a01a6311772ada4968680ce.JPG

View attachment 12957

p.JPG

M

middle_watch

What a Link

hello and welcome mate, you dont have to go full scratct buildthere are semi jits, or hulls available for leander class boats,

Sirmar lists one ,( http://www.tmmuk.com/sirmar_new/) and i beleive george may be able to help you out if drawings are needed, george has a wealth of information at his fingertips an if info is required on the grey funnel line .

but otherwise please feel free to pose questions etc.

we`ll try and help where possible.

cheers

aDz..
Wow! What a link! Brilliant thanks! Just this morning it suddenly occurred to me how the heck was I going to model all those dozens of dog clips! They even have my old nemisis, the command link antenna, the flaming deck apes would keep daubing it with lead based grey paint and drowning the signal!

G

George

The reason I asked those questions is that a lot of people want to build something special and a] don't have to room to build, b] if they do build then wonder how to get the completed model out without help. Another thing I do is to get hold of the drawings you are after, decide whether you want modellers drawings,[not 100% accurate] or builders drawings [100% accurate] for the period of the drawings. Decide what period of service you want to build and collect as much reference material as possible, pictures etc, fittings and refit changes. Study the drawings while working out what you are going to do and how to do it. Cost normally is a main problem and as such.

Both Sirmar at 1/96th scale and APS at 1/72nd scale do part kits which means that you can buy the hull and anything else that you want when the cash flow allows. Sirmar do either seperate fittings or fittings packs. APS do seperate fittings as you need them.

I normally buy a hull and the if I need to buy anything it buy when required or cash allows[us poor pensioners]

For the 1/72nd scale model check out the following

www.taskforce72.com

and there you will see some of the guys in Australia and their models

:wheelchai :wheelchai :scotland:

Last edited:
M

middle_watch

The link is dead I am afraid.

Been off doing a lot of pondering. I wanted to go 1/72nd, purely because I am used to working in that with aircraft and it would be neat to be able to show the kids the difference. But it seems the 1/96 is more commonly supported with plans and kits readilly available.

I am going to attempt the hull myself, I was sent a neat link to a build of a New Jersey Class battleship that seems okay. It involves skinning the hull formers with balsa, laying on fibreglass and then coating with car filler to seal and get the final shape. It also has the advantage of not neading too big a layout to get started, though I imagine the filler is going to cost a packet!

The advantage to 1/96 is I can fall back on those wonderful Sirmar kits if I get stuck on the detail, but I will at least try everything myself. I am off after some wreath wire this weekend to start fashioning the aerial gear, I spent enough time cleaning the blasted things, I should be able to manage modelling them!

Regards, Mike

G

George

The link is dead I am afraid.Been off doing a lot of pondering. I wanted to go 1/72nd, purely because I am used to working in that with aircraft and it would be neat to be able to show the kids the difference. But it seems the 1/96 is more commonly supported with plans and kits readilly available.

I am going to attempt the hull myself, I was sent a neat link to a build of a New Jersey Class battleship that seems okay. It involves skinning the hull formers with balsa, laying on fibreglass and then coating with car filler to seal and get the final shape. It also has the advantage of not neading too big a layout to get started, though I imagine the filler is going to cost a packet!

The advantage to 1/96 is I can fall back on those wonderful Sirmar kits if I get stuck on the detail, but I will at least try everything myself. I am off after some wreath wire this weekend to start fashioning the aerial gear, I spent enough time cleaning the blasted things, I should be able to manage modelling them!

Regards, Mike
Mike my mistake sorry the link should read

www.taskforce72.org

However if you want to go to the New Jersey class in 1/72 I wish you all the best :goodluck: and can I suggest for drawings you try floating drydock

ATB

George

M

middle_watch

No New Jersey here

Mike my mistake sorry the link should readwww.taskforce72.org

However if you want to go to the New Jersey class in 1/72 I wish you all the best :goodluck: and can I suggest for drawings you try floating drydock

ATB

George
erm, don't think so! I just liked the technique used. But been chatting with a nice guy by the name of Paul Simpson (www.psships.com) who told me bluntly a 1/96 scale Leander built that way would be too heavy. Oh well. Will see if I can sneak the credit card out without the wife noticing and send for a fibreglass hull.

A

adzam

middlewactch, in case you didnt know, george peat who had been helping you out with links and info etc , sadly passed away on saturday the 18th of this month.

but please keep us posted on which way you go and how it progress`s.

cheers

Adz..