HMS Ramillies

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
its my mates birthday in two weeks and he served on the HMS Ramillies during WWII but I couldn't get a kit of the rammy so I decided this year to build one from two kits (HMS Ramilliies and HMS Repulse) both ships were designed and built during the first world war so the designs followed similar designs

the hull will be made up of the one from HMS Warspite and the upper deck will be made from mixing both kits.

pieces needed for hull

View attachment 56118

completed hull with lower bridge section from Repulse.

View attachment 56119

hopefull she will look similar to this.

View attachment 56120

obviously she wont look exactly the same but she will be the general design.

View attachment 58221

View attachment 58222

View attachment 58223

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Ww2_Hms_Ramillies.jpg

R

rememal

I`ll watch this as my uncle was on the Ramillies.

I have his crossing the equator certificate.

The Duke of Edinburgh also served on her at the same time, too.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
that was about 1942 he served on her my mate Harold served from 43 to 46 they might have known each other

M

mobear

you are working real fast on this,looking good though

mobear

R

rememal

\ said:
that was about 1942 he served on her my mate Harold served from 43 to 46 they might have known each other
My uncle was a Stoker 1st Class, his name was John William Isaac Shaw, I believe his nickname, according to a photo I have of him on deck, was `Sh1ts`.

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
My uncle was a Stoker 1st Class, his name was John William Isaac Shaw, I believe his nickname, according to a photo I have of him on deck was `Sh1ts`.
ill ask him I should see him early next week, Harold was in damage control. I don't want to know how he got that nickname lol

R

rememal

\ said:
ill ask him I should see him early next week, Harold was in damage control. I don't want to know how he got that nickname lol
I could take a wild guess, but won`t. I can`t ask him as he died in 1945 after being on the Dulverton.

Could you let me know what parts from what kits you are using for this as it is some thing I would like to do myself, too.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I could take a wild guess, but won`t. I can`t ask him as he died in 1945 after being on the Dulverton.Could you let me know what parts from what kits you are using for this as it is some thing I would like to do myself, too.
sorry to hear that .

I bought two kits HMS Warspite for the hull because they were very similar although the Rammy was much bigger and HMS Repulse for the bride sections and aft sections , the centre boat deck is from Warspite , ill put pics up of where I cut the dects to mack them fit so you can get an idea how I made them fit.

its not an exact mach for the Rammy but as you can see its not far away.

im thinking of doing the same thing but on a 1/350 scale.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
sorry ive been away so long but here is the finished article

View attachment 57071View attachment 57072View attachment 57073View attachment 57074View attachment 57075View attachment 57076View attachment 57077

I think ive got the general design of the R class battleship down so im quite pleased with that but I think I should have took a step back thought a bit more about it.

if anyone decides to do something like this then make sure you bive enough room for B and X turrets I didn't think it through and had to trim about two millimetres off B turret and file down the aft upper deck section to make them fit basic error I think.

I am pleased with the outcome and I think harrold will love it so that's a plus

View attachment 59047

View attachment 59048

View attachment 59049

View attachment 59050

View attachment 59051

View attachment 59052

View attachment 59053

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

Ww2_Hms_Ramillies.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
cheers guys paintwork is a bit rough in places so ill sort that out before Friday.

I think it looks good for a 1/600 kit but im going to do one for myself in 1/350

I totalled up how much it cost to build that and it was a staggering £63 with the name plate and stand but it is well worth it to honour a true gent