HMS Rodney - Tamiya 1/700 scale

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Jim.
Optivisor at the ready just to see what your doing.
That crane detail is something else, OK you don't build it but fitting it would be for a very steady hand. Can we have a photo with a ruler in it, just to shock us even more ! :smiling2:
John.

D

Deleted member 4539

Very time consuming these 1/700 kits but you are doing a great job of it:smiling3:.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks guys :thumb2:

John - sorry, I forgot the ruler photo but the whole ship is 29cm long.

Well for the time spent only a little progress. Bought a couple of books. The Man o' War one was a bit pricey as it is long out of print but together they make interesting reading and reference.
P1050728.JPG
P1050729.JPG

Spent a lot of time on the PE 'octopus' for the mast. Also did a dry fit to see where I was at.P1050730.JPG
P1050731.JPG
The lower part of the superstructure is slightly warped as the photo shows. It goes down OK but will need clamping.
P1050732.JPG
Also, for some reason, Tamiya have omitted the doors and portholes on the lower superstructure. I'll have to check the references and sort that.
P1050733.JPG
I swung the mast/crane through 90 degrees so it hangs over the side. In one of the books there is a great photo showing the Rodney taking on supplies from a barge. Somewhere I have a box of 1/700 tugs, barges etc. which I can use - if I can find them. So I'll do a simple dio of that.
P1050734.JPG
Still a long way to go and so I thank you for your patience :thumb2:
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
OOOOOOHH!!!! That's nice:thumb2::thumb2: You must be pretty brain dead after doing all this miniature madness. I hope you are on the final stretch now

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Steve - Still a way to go yet. The tiny parts and the PE is draining. I can only do so much at a time. Still Pete's Toon Challenge starts tomorrow so a bit of light relief on the bench between sessions on this.

Most of the construction is finished. Mainly just the ships boats to do. As I said earlier I fancy the Disruptive Camouflage paint job. This was done in 1941/2 and remained basically the same until she was scrapped in 1948. This photo has been "coloured" but you get the idea.
Camo.jpg
Primed and base blue/grey done with Stynylrez grey and white mixed with a few drops of Vallejo blue
P1050735.JPG
P1050736.JPG
P1050737.JPG
Bought some crates to show being loaded and some Carley Floats. The kit only supplied a few and yet reference photos show them located all over the place. The crates say 1/700 scale but all except the smallest seem over large - still I only need a few.
P1050738.JPG
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
This is turning into something really special Jim. The extras will certainly add a lot of character. I know what you mean by wanting to have a break from the miniature madness.:thumb2::smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's very nice, Jim. The superstructure should be a breeze.
Right or wrong colour? Personally I can't be doing with that sort of thing, particularly where ships are concerned.
Keep in mind her working environment. Salt water, sun, the list goes on.
Paint away and be damned!

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Terrific work on the camo Jim. Was it brush work or airbrush??. If the latter did the old Panzer Putty come out??

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
That is an excellent piece of work, the fine PE work is very nicely done. The hull paint looks superb.

D

Deleted member 4539

This is starting to feel like can ship to me now Jim.
Great paintwork on the hull.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, the factory production line is chock full and progressing well. The hull camo looks fine. :thumb2: I have the same question that Steve posted.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for the encouraging posts - much appreciated.
The base colour, which is actually Stynylrez primer with a bit of Vallejo blue, was airbrushed but the rest was mapped out with a pencil and then brush painted. The camo is finished. Very slow as I took the advice of Ron and others and used very diluted paint and so each colour has had about 4 coats and a fair bit of time was taken touching up the shapes. All the superstructure is just dry fitted at the moment.
Other side done. Still one very pale line to add near the blunt end.

I am sure it will tone down with light weathering.

HMS Rodney had disruptive camo painted around 1941/42. Sometime after that her wooden decks were also painted with the camo pattern. So there was a period when she had camo but unpainted wooden decks - that is my excuse for buying a wooden deck. Looks quite nice but not certain how easy these wooden decks are to fit. On You-Tube it looks easy enough :flushed: :rolling:

Thanks again guys.

Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up Jim, top man for making all the fiddly PE look good, great spider on the funnel.
Great looking camo scheme.:smiling::thumb2:

Just now I saw a video on Youtube about the Nelson class on Drachinifel, it's a great channel about all sorts of warships:
Looking forward to see the wooden deck.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Wonderful brushwork on the camo Jim. Looking very realistic indeed. A lot better than that "jazz" camo that the navy used in WWI.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great painting of the camo, and certainly not easy in the scale ! Most impressive detailing .
Top marks Jim .:thumb2:
Looking fwd to the final setting .
John .

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Jim.
Could I take one of those spare Walrus's from you please.