HMS Rodney - Tamiya 1/700 scale

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
I hope some of you remember this - it's been a while. Toons and Starter Kit fun have taken their toll on my bench time. I have been doing bits and pieces on this so I'll update to where I'm at.
First off thanks for all your lovely comments - on a long slow build they really help keep the mojo high.
I have done some subtle weathering. Mainly oil streaking on the hull and a pin wash. At least it's a start.

P1050859.JPG

P1050860.JPG

P1050861.JPG

I have worked on the many ships boats.

P1050862.JPG

Some even have oars and a rudder (PE)

P1050863.JPG

They are ridiculously tiny!

P1050864.JPG

I have also fitted the wood deck. First time I have used one. I was worried about getting it fitted. It is self adhesive so you only have one chance. In reality it was quite straightforward.

P1050856.JPG

P1050857.JPG

P1050858.JPG

These were really useful for pressing the deck into place - especially the edges. Bought them for something ages ago and never used them :tongue-out3:

P1050865.JPG

Thanks for sticking with this.

Jim

D

Deleted member 4539

The streaking looks great Jim and those wooden decks are fantastic and really make a difference :smiling3:.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jim,
Streaking looks good

Question on the wood deck - do you have to lower or thin the plastic decks to compensate for the thickness of the wood which is being stuck on top of what should be the top surface?

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat work on the little boats and nice start on the weathering Jim.:thumb2:

Love the addition of the wooden deck.:smiling4:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice job so far. Always thought this design was very aggressive and an excellent chase solution. It's darn hard to beat a wooden deck w/plastic. PaulE

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim, very pleased to see this one again. Streaking is subtle but effective.

A tip I learned from shipbuilders regarding a self adhesive wooden deck: add a small drop of diswashing soap in water and brush a bit of the water on the surface where the wooden deck needs to be put in place. This slows down the adhering time and gives you more room to adjust errors. Haven't tried it myself yet but sounds sane to me ^^.
Now don't keep us waiting for too long for a next update skipper :P

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well its my turn to say "WOW"!!. That decking is awesome. This really is something special. Keep it comin at your own pace my friend

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, I have much the same question as SimonT.
Most of the deck detail is now below the new wooden deck level. How on earth do you fill all those gaps caused by different levels to bring the fittings flush with the stuck-on deck?

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks beautiful Jim love the deck work. I have the Italeri Graf Spree I got as a gift. I would love to build it but never built a ship. Any pointers??

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 4539

Jim, I have much the same question as SimonT.
Most of the deck detail is now below the new wooden deck level. How on earth do you fill all those gaps caused by different levels to bring the fittings flush with the stuck-on deck?
Hi Ron.
I can give you my answer about wooden decks.
I have used them a few times now and quite simply I don't fill the gaps.Just do a good paintjob and they become hardly noticable.
Also by the time the kit is finished they become less visible plus these photos are much bigger than the actual model.
Hope this helps.
Ralph.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Jim,
Looking very nice indeed, can’t believe how small these life boats are!!:surprised:

Coming along brilliantly :thumb2:

First Name
Ross
Jim, looking good, those wooden decks will really set the model off when it's all finished.

cheers
Ross

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim, when I heard you were streaking I had to cover my eyes...thank goodness they were oil stains :smiling6: Nice work and the wooden deck too...very real looking. :thumb2: Good that the build is back up again.

Hi Jim, very pleased to see this one again. Streaking is subtle but effective.

A tip I learned from shipbuilders regarding a self adhesive wooden deck: add a small drop of diswashing soap in water and brush a bit of the water on the surface where the wooden deck needs to be put in place. This slows down the adhering time and gives you more room to adjust errors. Haven't tried it myself yet but sounds sane to me ^^.
Now don't keep us waiting for too long for a next update skipper :P

Wouter, I think it should work as its the same principle used when applying adhesived backing car tint on glass. When satisfied of the position you squeeze the soapy water by pressing down away from the center.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Really appreciate all the positive posts :thumb2:
Wouter - that tip with the washing up liquid sounds good. Thanks
Lee - Your Graf Spee, go for it. Ships are fun. I would like to do a 1/350 model but they don't come cheap.
Simon and Ron - Ralph has said pretty much what I would say. The wood deck is a very thin veneer. This is an off cut with the backing still on. The backing that protects the glue is like cling film.
P1050869.JPG

The detail on the decks is still quite proud.
P1050870.JPG

P1050871.JPG

Wooden decks are probably best considered as a trade off between looking good (although some ship modellers don't agree) and the problems you brought up. The other advantage, of course, is the painting of the deck details. No masking, just slap on the paint and the wooden deck covered the mess. Also painting styrene to look convincingly like wood is not easy.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just found this again Jim.
Wow it is, some great detailing, that photo of the blade show just how small those boats they are. Well done all round, one last thing that wodern deck is the dogs .

D

Deleted member 6559

Absolutely superb work Jim. I'm used to seeing your crisp, clean modelling, but this is taking it to a new level. The deck veneers look superb - something I would not have the patience to do.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Between BBQs in the garden, granddading duties and part 2 of the Starter Kit Challenge bench time for this has been minimal but a bit of progress.

Most of the main superstructure, bridge etc are fixed and I can't put off the railings any longer. Although I have done a couple of 1/700 ships before I only put on a few simple bits of railing but on this I'd like to do more. I don't know if there is a correct way but this is what I'm hoping will work.

Cut a thin strip of cartridge paper and use it to get the railing length and bends sorted.
P1050879.JPG

Transfer length and bends to the PE railing and it should fit OK.
P1050878.JPG

P1050880.JPG

P1050881.JPG

Now the railing will be painted and then fitted using Gator Glue. When dry a few drops of thin CA will make things nice and secure.

Well that's the plan anyway:thinking:

Jim