HMS Rodney - Tamiya 1/700 scale

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi
Ron - compressed air cylinders sounds right. I have just watched a YouTube video from 1940 on catapult launching and recovery - most interesting. The power was either compressed air or an explosive charge - I think they said cordite.
Paul and Steve - thanks guys :thumb2:
Hannants order arrived. As always first class service from them although I find their website difficult to navigate. Little planes are in clear plastic - why I don't know.
P1050700.JPG
P1050699.JPG
They come 12 in a packet so if anyone needs a 1/700 Walrus I'm your man :tongue-out3:
To make up the minimum order I added these. I have bigger ants in the garden!! At least they are pre-coloured :smiling5:
P1050698.JPG
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Judging by the size of them you may need all 12 to make one!:smiling5::smiling3:

I think they are awesome. Cant wait to see one on the catapult. Great stuff:thumb2::thumb2::cool:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
The catapult will be great looking on one of the turrets Jim.:thumb2:

The clearness is so you can have clear windows on the plane, had the same with an 1/350th LHA air component and when all painted up it gives such a better look than simply painting black or blue windows on:smiling:, have a try.
Have fun with the super small crew.:upside:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Steve - I have a Walrus, I hope!
Fernando - thanks. That makes sense.

A bit of an update
Compressed air cylinders fitted to the sides of the catapult. Just bits of styrene rod.
P1050704.JPG
The PE fret provides the AA guns but they just fold in half and would be flat. The kit parts, I feel, are better so I have gone with them. Very tiny as you can see.
P1050707.JPG
P1050705.JPG
P1050706.JPG
The little piece of PE by the gun is supposedly to fold to make a step. I may use that.
I have made up a Walrus - 6 pieces!!. Difficult to see what you're doing with the plastic being clear. A coat of primer will show just how rough it is. I have mounted the catapult cradle to the plane.
P1050703.JPG
Thanks for your interest :thumb2:
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thoroughly engrossing build Jim.Never made anything maritime but im finding your build very interesting!!.
Great stuff.
Rich.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, your Walrus and Catapult is looking good. So tiny it can give my 1/72 one a run for the money. Have you stuck the wings, cos if you have another a suggestion is to cut away the clear strut supports and replace them with cut PE ladders.

The original guns are way better than the PE ones, good thing you're sticking with it.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
You have just gotta luv that Walrus! Wonderful. PE madness is going well Jim. Permission to carry on:smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all

As always I really appreciate your support. Unfortunately Richard the wings are fixed. The Walrus is from Trumpeter and is pretty cheap and basic. A company called Flyhawk do a 1/700 Walrus. More expensive but far better. I didn't find that out until I had bought mine. The Flyhawk Walrus does have PE wing struts.

Anyway the Walrus is done as best as I can.
P1050709.JPG
HMS Rodney had AA Pom-pom guns fitted in an early war refit. My PE fret had them. I think they are a step too far for me :sad: I have had a go anyway - not sure if I'll use the one I have made or make the other two. So far 9 tiny parts with a couple of rear railings still to add.
P1050710.JPG
P1050711.JPG
P1050712.JPG
P1050713.JPG
It does look better in reality than these blown up photos - honest!!
Thanks again.
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Bloody Nora!! 9 Parts! You are a brave man:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: Looks very nice indeed. Well done sir

The Walrus is a thing of beautie. Absolute joy.

Great stuff Jim. Keep it comin mate

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
What Steve says with nobs on! Jim that is some serious etch-ification right there....I gone cross eyed just thinking about making them :dizzy:
I watched a guy on you tube assemble a flyhawk walrus Here, you’ve made a great job of yours though.
Superb work sir:thumb2:

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
need hubble telescope, for that size model. but so far it looks great, i'll try and keep watch on this one. JIM R

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim .
I agree with the guys, its so small, I know you are use an optivisor, but how on earth do you manage to handle them :flushed::worried:
Are you using that Gator glue you mentioned some times ago or CA . that launch platform looks so neat and clean ?
John.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks all great Jim I admire your talent in the very small scale

Reactions: JR
D

Durk

Hi Jim, superb modelling, gotta love that little walrus:thumb2:.

If you're really stuck for Pom-poms, you could always try these:

Nano.jpg

You'll probably be shocked at the price, but they build a bit easier than PE and look as good:cool:.

DIRK

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks guys once again for your interest and kind words.
I have fitted the rear rails to the Pom-pom. It doesn't show in the photos but I have tried to put a tiny blob of CA on the gun barrel ends to stop them looking so flat. Research tends to show that HMS Rodney was fitted with 3 of these :sad: My version may only have 1!!!
P1050715.JPG
P1050716.JPG
Started on the superstructure.
P1050717.JPG
Also started on the funnel. PE was fiddly. Luckily what I lack in skill I make up with patience - The 'spider' on the top of the funnel took me over an hour to get all the legs sat right. It's not perfect but OK I think.
P1050714.JPG
Thanks again guys for sticking with my very slow progress.
Jim