HMS ZULU 14 SEPT. 1942. ( FOR SIMON ).

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Once upon a time, a long time ago
On a forum far far away
(A small homage to Simon's Avatar)
Mr T. built a 1/700 scale Fletcher class destroyer.

While my eyesight would struggle with that scale I am going to build this in a way I hope Simon would approve of.IMG_0422A.jpg

Base kit. I am aware of the numerous faults, but it is the only one on the market. Some work and loads of A/M should sort things out.

IMG_0426A.jpg

box full of plastic. Some will be modified and some replaced with the A/M.

IMG_0455.JPG

The P/E. the small one is from the kit. The large one is a dedicated one for Tribal class destroyers. The bottom right is a set of watertight doors

IMG_0459.JPGIMG_0422A.jpgIMG_0426A.jpgIMG_0455.JPGIMG_0459.JPG

The A/M. Basically the ships armament.

The shipyard will open as soon as possible. An unscheduled hospital stay temporarily held up progress.

D

Deleted member 6559

Wow, will all of those extras fit that tiny kit John? Looks like a Simon style special coming up.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Woo hoo...lots of stuff for the destroyer John, Will grab a seat for this.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lots of bells and whistles for this project. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle it. Good luck

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Figures Chris.........just what your Ship brain needs ! LOL:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out: I can't pass up a good "Floaty Thing" project, I'll sit in the back and keep a watch. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Figures Chris.........just what your Ship brain needs ! LOL:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out: I can't pass up a good "Floaty Thing" project, I'll sit in the back and keep a watch. Rick H.
YEA SNAP Rick :thinking: great minds think alike lol:rolling::smiling:
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I'm in. That is a lot of stuff to include. Should result in a stunning model.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks interesting!!

ATB

Andrew

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good Day one and all. Paul, Mick, Peter, Richard, Steve, Chris, Rick, Jim, Andrew and Steve, many thanks for joining me on this endeavour.
This is the first ship I have built since I was 12 years old( that was in 1959 ! ). Then it was tiny 1/1200 scale by Eaglewall I think.
Anyway shipyard is open so off we go.
The main fault with this kit is the foredeck. It is completely flat as below.
IMG_0423A.jpg

In reality it should slope upwards at the bow. an approximation below.

IMG_0425A.jpg
On with the build, the platers and welders are getting jumpy.
IMG_0461.JPG

The main deck and fo'csle bulkhead glued in place to brace the hull. The rear half of the foredeck glued down and left to set. The bow section of deck was then raised the required amount (3mm) with various size plastic rod across the width of the deck, securely glued in position. The resulting gaps were filled in with vallejo filler slowly built up. Apologies I forgot to take photos of this stage. So here is the finished rebuild. the test will be what it looks like under paint.IMG_0460.JPG

Before any more build progress can be made all the watertight doors will have to be removed and replaced with the correct pattern. There are nearly 20 all told.
IMG_0463.JPG

That is all for now, the workers have gone for that great British institution the tea break.
John

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A true endeavor. This will look excellent w/all the extras. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well done on the Bow mods. I'd say you have a pretty good crew of "fitters" on this one. :thumb2:

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello one and all. Well after the longest tea break in the history of mankind a modicum of work has been done. The main problem has been one of labour. The original Zulu was built in Glasgow (Scotland) where there were plenty of skilled shipbuilders. This one, of course is being built here in Cyprus. We have no concept of heavy engineering and my minions just want to get back to their farms and pick potatoes. Anyway the incorrect kit doors were removed with careful use of a chisel blade and sanding sticks. The new P/E doors were then assembled (at least I tried to). The doors are 6mm x 2mm and consist of two pieces. The door itself and the frame. This was when I found how much dexterity I have lost in my left hand after the Stroke I had a year ago. Onwards. These proved beyond me, the locking dogs were so small even my optivisor was no use. For the moment the doors are in place without the frames, held on with PVA so they will be easy to remove. Plan B is to purchase some 3d printed ones.

IMG_0464.JPG

Two doors missing from the foredeck bulkhead have been added, as well as a start on the deck fittings.

IMG_0465.JPG
The deck houses are only placed on. This is to determine the best way of assembly. Structure first and then deck fittings around them or fittings first and place the structure between them. The instructions of course give no assistance. Lots of access ladders to go on as well.
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Hope the tea break was relaxing. Looks like despite some problems you're making good progress. You seem to have a clear idea of the way forward.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Looking good John. Must be plenty of distractions living in your little bit of paradise - here in the UK we're hunkering down in the cold weather.