HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
After many years of sitting out in the garage in pieces, I've started it again. Basic benchwork was done modularly & I had finished two 2'X4' sections of intermodal yard with dbl track mainline & the staging sidings in a lower level w/wiring.
100_1907.JPG
100_1948.JPG
The MOW yard was semi completed w/return loop of the folded dogbone in the lower level of the 2'6"X3'6"' module.
100_1950.JPG
The light maint. sidings, team tracks & dbl track mainline on a 2'X7' module getting turnout motors.
100_1946.JPG
Small connector module between intermodal yard, MOW yard & team track/lt maint sidings getting control wiring.
100_1947.JPG
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for tuning in. I still have the Santa Fe "Super Chief" oval for around the tree, but the grand kids are grown up & have no interest. There are 8 locos (2 CSX, 2 NS, & 4 Conrail) & over 100 freight cars, many detailed & upgraded to metal wheelsets & all w/metal knuckle couplers. This will be my fourth attempt to finish. The first three operated but were never completed. I hope to run a train by Christmas.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The wiring alone gives me nightmares...I'm all good with track laying and scenery though. Looking forward to seeing this finally completed. Seems a nice change of pace at any rate. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks. You're welcome to come do ballast & build trees anytime. The wiring is a PITA but a must do to operate, otherwise it's just a big dio:smiling2:. PaulE.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'll take a rain check on that as this is the wrong time of year for air travel. Have done my share of ballasting while I was affiliated with the West Bay Model RR Club in the SF. Bay area years ago. Somewhere in my RR stash I have one of those ballast spreaders that make it so easy. Are you going Hi Tek with DCC or using a block system? Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hang in there Paul. Once you get that Rat's Nest sorted you'll be on to the "Artsy Fartsy" stuff and of course The operational aspect of this effort. Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow that's some job you've set yourself Paul. I'll find a seat in the corner and settle in .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Watch out he doesn't strip you and splice you to a terminal block JR. We mechanic types do our best work when not being supervised!LOL:thumb2: Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cor wow PaulE I love model railways I once had a big layout gonna whatch i'll settle down nr John are there any bickies goin ?
chris

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking good Paul I just sold about $1000 dollars worth of my HO last week and made a trip to St.Louis yesterday and sold more but I still have about 8 tubs full of the HO nightmare. If you need some modern Intermodal trucks or containers let me know

D

Deleted member 6559

Great stuff Paul. That will get you through the winter.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI PaulE
how big will the layout be when you have put it all togeather ? an what shape ? an can we see some of the loco's an rollin stock ?
chris

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lee, I have enough pigs, but can you ever have enough containers?
Simon, Maintenance Of Way.
Peter, it kept me sane when away from home for a year in the early 80s. That's when I built & detailed most of the rolling stock & locomotives.
Chris, big, it'll have almost a 40' run w/most appearing like a dbl track mainline in a folded dogbone config. servicing a coal mine, grain elevator, intermodal yard, MOW yard, & some light industry & team sidings.

There are three coal, two container, a pig (trailer on flat), an iron ore, a grain, a MOW & a military flat unit trains plus assorted misc freight cars from the three major carriers I model.
That's been the plan anyway. Most of the structure kits are built already. The modules bolt together & their wiring will have quick disconnect cabling so they can be removed for major changes as most are up against the man cave walls.
Again, thank you all for your support. PaulE