HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HAY PAULE the mountain will lift off the track wont it in case of derailment ?
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul, It is rather sheer, but I get the concept..... and space constraints tend to limit your ability to be more creative, but for the space you do have I think it is a sound idea and I like the scree idea as that is a very natural occurrence in this type of topography. Trees of various heights may also help to break up the slight geometrical appearance due to the tunnel portals and I noticed there is a slope back at the top of the portals....good idea as that will help to direct your eye upwards as you view it head on. Here endeth my critical analysis..........hope it helps. :thumb2: Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you gentlemen.
Chris, the tops & sides will provide the structural strength of the scene so will be fixed. There are two removable panels on the back to provide access.
Rick, yes, I have taken some license here w/artistic compression. I felt I needed the height to justify tunnels over cuts & deep mine over open pit. I have enough material to thickly forest the tops and provide dense undergrowth. There will also be an abandoned minehead of a "played out" mine in the west side of the saddle to add a little interest.
PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been saving it up for some years as our recycling outfit won't accept it. Knew I'd find a use for it, but only have a few pieces left now. PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up, and this is looking great Paul. expanded polystyrene is horrible to work with though isn’t it.....

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I don't mind too much, but SWIMBO harasses me a lot about tracking/shedding little white balls of the stuff around the house. PaulE

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Amazing work Paul.

Simply amazing.

ATB.

Andrew

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great looking project Paul, love how the mountain is coming together :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks guys. Did you ever see the article on the Wile E. Coyote vs Acme Products lawsuit? Hysterical. PaulE
NO PaulE SO where is it as i loved seein him get blown up by his own gadgets lol
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys. Did you ever see the article on the Wile E. Coyote vs Acme Products lawsuit? Hysterical. PaulE
No Paul, like Chris I'd love to read it . The mere mention of ACME has me smiling
Loving the build around the mine, as Rick says about trees, you can hide a lot If space constraints are the problem of accuracy. Carry on its great .

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Was a joke article in the Feb. 26, 1990 New Yorker magazine. PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Your problem seems to be making the steep slopes look realistic Paul. To me, you are modelling a quarried void. The sides should therefore be vertically steep with a stratified shelf effect. In the space you have it is probably your only option.
A bit like this, perhaps?
35C8DF7A-D620-428E-8C14-21E35AE09511.jpeg
Cheers

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for that Tim. Some progress today.
100_2713.JPG
Overall strengthening up of mountain supports.
100_2714.JPG
This will be tough. Kinda like the funky angles on the bridge windows of the roll-on/off ship.
100_2715.JPG