HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
lovely work PaulE A QUESTION if i may how big is the room where the layout is in ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
14'X21'. Refinery, indusries, control panel, & container yard all on 21' wall. PaulE
YEA PaulE THAT was about the size of my old house rooms 20 ft sqaure where i had my layout but as it was an old house i used to get a lot of dust on the lines an was constantly cleaning the tracks

• Sad
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Different concrete colors I've tried. PollyS 505210 "OLD CONCRETE" is the lighter of the two, Vallejo 71.131 "CONCRETE" is the darker. The earth tone areas are PollyS "MUD".
100_2829.JPG
100_2830.JPG
C&Cs welcome. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That looks good Paul, breaks up the monotony of a very large flat area and creates interest. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Paul. As Rick says, you’ve broken up the slab look very well. After all, concrete takes stains and scuffs like nothing else!

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. I'm unsure. The dark one looks like wet concrete to me & the lighter one looks fresh dried. Will finish ballasting/gardening, then decide what to do. Maybe weathering the darker with lighter tones will work. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Still mucking about. These working hinges turned out pretty cool.
100_2833.JPG
Ballasting progress & blacktop access road.
100_2832.JPG
Trying out clinker ground cover leftover from steam age.
100_2831.JPG
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's a small, small world......Excellent progress on this Paul, I hope to see some operational trains soon. :thumb2: Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,
This just gets better every time I look in. All the different textures look great.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
There's still the electrical to sort after the gardening is done.
Hey. Let’s see your Garden Paul if you don’t mine. You can start a thread on it. I’m sure the Guys would love to see it. I know I would. The Layout is really shaping up I like those passenger cars specially the Vista Dome.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. Lee, I had to remove the lighting components of all the cars as they created too much drag at this length. While I had them out I touched up the silver & weathered the trucks some. I also painted the trucks on the A & B units to match. The train now runs & looks much better. I took a 13 second video of it running but the site "media" wouldn't accept it. PaulE

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks guys. Lee, I had to remove the lighting components of all the cars as they created too much drag at this length. While I had them out I touched up the silver & weathered the trucks some. I also painted the trucks on the A & B units to match. The train now runs & looks much better. I took a 13 second video of it running but the site "media" wouldn't accept it. PaulE
Sounds nice that extra current sometimes can slow a lot down on your layout. I’ve tried to post my O scale videos with no luck. Do you have any close up shots of the passenger cars?

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lee, the lighting kits depended on copper wipers on car axles to provide current for bulbs. This created a drag as well. No, haven't taken close-up pics. They are back in storage.
Some progress pics & dry fit of fencing.
100_2835.JPG
100_2834.JPG
High-railers
100_2836.JPG
Salt spreader, portable fuel tank, snow plow & misc tools.
100_2837.JPG
Heavy service/maint. trucks.
100_2838.JPG
Heavy yard mule (lost spare tire somewhen) placing car for unloading.
100_2839.JPG
C&Cs welcomed. PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is really shaping up Paul. The extra detail you are now adding is really bringing it to life. By the way, if you want to reinstate the lighting on those cars without increasing drag i think it could be done. It would just need a little work on the bogies and pivots.