HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Above kit photo was 2nd step of 9 on 4 pages of instructions. Brake lines are VERY delicate. Nice high quality kit. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Progress, I rearranged the man cave, assembled a couple more modules, revised the layout plan & it's taking firmer shape in my head. The module in the foreground will be two levels w/coal mine upper & staging lower. All this so I don't have to check wiring. PaulE
100_2018.JPG
100_2017.JPG
100_2019.JPG
100_2021.JPG

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some progress made. Here's the lower eastern loop tracks of folded dogbone connected to lower level benchwork.
100_2027.JPG
West 1 lower level trackage & lower to upper level grade WIP.
100_2024.JPG
The tunnel portal position shows how the upper & lower levels will be defined as the mainline & passing tracks will enter the industrial/maint. section over it.
100_2025.JPG
C&Cs encouraged.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Some progress made. Here's the lower eastern loop tracks of folded dogbone connected to lower level benchwork.
View attachment 370322
West 1 lower level trackage & lower to upper level grade WIP.
View attachment 370323
The tunnel portal position shows how the upper & lower levels will be defined as the mainline & passing tracks will enter the industrial/maint. section over it.
View attachment 370324
C&Cs encouraged.
WELL PaulE it looks like you have been busy I used to love doin al the rail road comin on great keep up the good work
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Paul.
Nice to have the room , sorry, did post before but missed several updates from you.
Will be a great acheivemet when all done .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
PaulE is it possible to have some close up shots so we can see what you are workin on
chris

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Y'all asked for closeups-here's some.
Trying to sussout maintaining 3% grade yet get high enough in 12' to clear double stack container cars & assoc bench work. 3 to 4% is considered max for this scale.
100_2035.JPG
Sketches of plan. Level one is on the bottom & largely not seen. The part from the 'DOWN' arrow to the tunnel portal is all.
100_2028.JPG
Control module closeup.
100_2029.JPG
Working industrial/maint. yard. Wire is to provide height guide for road crown.
100_2032.JPG
Another view showing the permanent magnets glued into the 3 siding crossings for uncoupling cars.
100_2033.JPG
The funky paint is just leftovers to seal the flake board.
100_2031.JPG
PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's great Paul, seeing the plan helps to bring a little clarity on the operational aspect of your layout. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul I cant see that Control module closeup. is it that grey box standin upright an what does it do ?
chris

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for looking. Loose equipment & hotbox sensors are in right foreground. "Hotbox" is a wheel bearing overheating. When trouble is detected the warning light goes off & a signal is sent to dispatch to halt the affected train. The grey boxes are 'relay cabinets' to contain controls for them. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks for looking. Loose equipment & hotbox sensors are in right foreground. "Hotbox" is a wheel bearing overheating. When trouble is detected the warning light goes off & a signal is sent to dispatch to halt the affected train. The grey boxes are 'relay cabinets' to contain controls for them. PaulE
OK PaulE im following this build as railways have always got me intrested great layout :thumb2:
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Paul
looking good......when making your 3% grade remember you can gain extra clearance by dropping the other line as well.....that trick can reduce the space needed by almost half.....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant! Brings back memories of my own layout that my dad built for me!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Paul,
This is all Coming along rather nicely. nice plan of your layout btw...I keep telling my son he should plan his layout like that before he commit. I’ll have to show him your set up :thumb2:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for commenting gents. Si, here are some tools your son will need. Scale rule, coupler/air hose gauge, 100/70 lb track gauges, spacing gauge, HO stds. gauge. The coupler/air hose & 100/70 lb gauge are great for heat sinks when soldering track also.
100_2037.JPG
PaulE