HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Progress on West2 & Pennsy1 staging. 2% grade std. is an acute PITA. Planning was easy. Execution is a b____h. PaulE
100_2534.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A b___h, as in a female dog or an angry woman at that time of the month? At any rate, I think I get your meaning:tongue-out::tongue-out2::tongue-out3: Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Keep it up Paul and you'll be running trains before snow flies. 22" would be about max on a 4' wide ply with jussssst enough clearance for side swing on longer pieces of rolling stock......well done.
Rick H. :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul. Great pics of your layout. I like that coal mine. I think I’m going to build a modem HO layout soon I’m getting tired of switching my current layout from the 50-60s to modern

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul. It looks good that’s something I’m going have to do some day is put some elevators up. Thanks for sharing your updates

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul

Just had a quick catch up. That looks absolutely stunning. It of interest how big/long will it be?

ATB

Andrew

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you for looking. Rough dimension is 20' X 14', the continuous folded dogbone run will be approx. 40'. These measures don't include passing track, the five yards & two staging areas. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul .
This might sound s stupid question but do you have voltage drain with a track that long ?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looks like your enjoying yourself Paul..... Coming together nicely :thumb2:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. Yes Dzohn, but it's manageable. Less than a volt theoretically. Less fun than level runs Si. :smiling: The idea was unseen lower level staging w/an interesting continuous run w/hidden sections to add perceived length. This has led to a traffic jam of track at the south end of the layout that looked fine on paper as concentric loops of track at different levels, but in reality the grade standard has reared its' ugly head to confuse the issue and is taking some sorting out. Much cutting & fitting. PaulE

Last edited:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Still sorting out south end but finished laying out mine module & nailing down south inner grade loop violating grade std a bit to get under yard grade. Full stop. Have run out of rail connectors. Poor planning on my part. Thought I had stashed more. I should have used more "flex track" but instead used individual Atlas pieces for speed. So now have used up most of the Atlas tracks but have run out of connectors & have lots of flex-track left over. Duh.
100_2543.JPG
You can see continuous run on far right holding to grade std. & the layout of yard & run-around connector before elevating it. In midframe is a pile of lumber to go to the chopsaw for elevating the yard/run-around connector.
100_2544.JPG
north yard connector layout.
100_2545.JPG
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Still sorting out south end but finished laying out mine module & nailing down south inner grade loop violating grade std a bit to get under yard grade. Full stop. Have run out of rail connectors. Poor planning on my part. Thought I had stashed more. I should have used more "flex track" but instead used individual Atlas pieces for speed. So now have used up most of the Atlas tracks but have run out of connectors & have lots of flex-track left over. Duh.
View attachment 399151
You can see continuous run on far right holding to grade std. & the layout of yard & run-around connector before elevating it. In midframe is a pile of lumber to go to the chopsaw for elevating the yard/run-around connector.
View attachment 399152
north yard connector layout.
View attachment 399153
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE
Hi Paul,E coming along well double deck be continuous run , my last permanent layout was like that , on two levels , love your back scene, did you paint it , I will have one back scene on my layout to cover track . Tony