HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Then you've probably seen much of my rolling stock & locos on film Dzohn. PaulE
Probably, last time I was looking they were Norfolk Southern it was a GE. With a blown turbine !

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks guys. Now, enough of the fun stuff. Wiring next. No magna-traction, only in O scale to my knowledge. PaulE
Yes Paul I have a couple old Lionel Mag trac post war engines you never have to worry about them derailing easy

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul. Your layout is really coming together and looking good

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
There are some on pages 6&7 of this thread Chris . The GP38-2 is representative of the level of detail on the rest. The NS GP50 & GP40-2 are black so details are difficult to see & the CSX locos are WsIP.
Thanks Lee, our family layout was Lionel. We ran four locos simultaneously. It was 25' x 25' in the basement & took 7 years to finish as it was primarily a Christmas holidays build activity and operations the rest of the year. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That must have been fun Paul, think of all the buildings track side , my idea of heaven.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
JR, my dad was mostly a scenery guy & loved the long heavy weight passenger cars. Lots of bridges, tunnels & long continuous runs. My brothers were primarily operators. Mick had NYC F units, Mike had AT&SF F units Dad ran a GG1 & I ran the steam loco w/smoke generator. I can still smell the hot oil. I was in charge of the small yard so ran all the Lionel operating cars. The milk car w/guy shoving magnetic milk cans onto a platform, the box car w/guy throwing out boxes, the stock car w/vibrating cattle, a log car w/dump, a coal car w/dump, a search light car, & a heavy crane car. The only buildings I remember were a yard office, small pass. station & a small freight depot besides the structures that came w/the operating cars. No photos remain that I can find. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Heaven indeed, nice you had the same interests Paul. I can imagine the systems running.:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Pail, I remember those old smoke generating locos.........When I was a club member of West Bay Model Railroaders, we had a member that would bring his engine down to run on or operating night and he used the most noxious oils in that thing.........used to clear the building out! One of the guys switched out his oil with some liquid hair tonic one night when the dude wasn't looking.....when he loaded it into his loco it made REAL good smoke..........also made the club house smell like a French Brothel!
Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
More progress on added industries. Lane Assistive Technologies
100_2576 (2).JPG
Ulrich Transfer
100_2577.JPG
Lightning Electric & bollard winch to move grain cars.
100_2575.JPG
Old station/freight depot to service coal mine
100_2578 (2).JPG
C&Cs welcomed. PaulE

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul. Nice updates. On Ricks note I use to hate buying a loco that someone used Mineral Oil in the smoke unit smelled bad and gave me a bad headache

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The Hair tonic did the trick......that particular club member quit bringing the smelly thing to "operating night".......mission accomplished. :thumb2:
Rick H.
HI Rick:thinking: that was down a right dastaly trick with the hair tonic lol :rolling: :smiling: but yes these trains with the smoke oil in i used to use in my loco's an i must admit gave me a skullacke to so i just cut it down to usein one train with it as it looked good smokin but i had the window open to let the smell out but it was all good fun
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An PaulE this layout is really comin on on lookin good an regards the points or turnouts as you call them will all these be eletrified ? as it goin to be a really complex layout an will you have a plan of the layout near where you are operatein the loco's from so you can see whitch point is facein where as on my layout i had with this ZERO 1 i had a miccromimic signal box with led 's in to show whitch way the point was facein so there was no crashes
chris