HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Around 35yrs. That's what I meant by "crapinthegap", but I haven't found a way to access the armature where the brushes rub. I have been trying to "run it in", but it gets hot & smelly which limits the effort. I'll try a chemical solution as a last resort. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Paulie try cleaning the brushes on the armitger with meths spirit that used to work for my probs
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm afraid to guess what "meths spirit" is. I was thinking of alcohol and/or ether. PaulE
ITS methalated spirirts PaulE AN ITS PURPLE in colour an i use its for cleaning anyrhing eletrical an it just fades a way after a few seconds of use

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It’s called denatured alcohol in your neck of the woods Paul.
The heat could well be generated by tight bearings. I would actually recommend giving it a good squirt of electrical switch cleaner then re-oiling the bearings etc. Might also need to clean and regrease the worm gear. Failing that, your into the world of wander leads and acing the pick up wire adjustment one at a time.

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Did somebody mention meth's, burns well !:nerd:
AN THERE IS FLAMES J/R RIGHT UP YOUR STREET SO YOU CAN GET AS HIGH AS POISSBLE JUST WATCHIN THEM FLICKERING IN YOUR EYES AN YOU ARE HYONOTISED BY THE FLAMES AN YOU BEGIN TO INVOKE STRANGE NIOSES LOL

• Love
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alcohol we used didn't have a visible flame. Used to burn it in open wheel racing. Had to use ether to start when it was cold out. A real PITA, and scary too. Thankfully it was outlawed for oval racing. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) Very Bad stuff and could be flammable......which would get JR out of his chair LOL :tongue-out3: I would recommend alcohol as the strongest chemical to use........there are spray cans of electrical contact cleaner that may work as well......hope this helps. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dropped the damthing trying to clean it, so moved on to detailing various trucks & cars on the layout while searching for appropriate wire to finish sand hoses on NS GP50 & starting on the M.o.W. area. Misc. dithering. PaulE

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sorry to hear that......hope you can piece it back together. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
At this point I'm more concerned w/finishing the NS pair so I can get going on the CSX pair. They are a later purchase so require less detailing. Don't remember now why so many locos, eleven in all. Pair of NS, pair of CSX, pair of SD40-2 Conrail, a single Conrail SD40-2, 2 Conrail GP38-2, a single Conrail GP40-2, & a single Conrail GE Dash8-40CW. There's also a Santa Fe passenger train stashed away somewhere. I should probably give away some of the locos & rolling stock as there is too much of both along with surplus turnouts & track.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
At this point I'm more concerned w/finishing the NS pair so I can get going on the CSX pair. They are a later purchase so require less detailing. Don't remember now why so many locos, eleven in all. Pair of NS, pair of CSX, pair of SD40-2 Conrail, a single Conrail SD40-2, 2 Conrail GP38-2, a single Conrail GP40-2, & a single Conrail GE Dash8-40CW. There's also a Santa Fe passenger train stashed away somewhere. I should probably give away some of the locos & rolling stock as there is too much of both along with surplus turnouts & track.
Hi PaulE, good collection, I have a set of 4 Santa Fe F3/A-B-B-A locos looking at scratch built the El Capitan or Super Chief , the F/3B locos need to be painted silver, Tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Paul, been a long and big undertaking, but so worth it .

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Paul

I don't know if I want this to come to an end..its been so exciting to watch this all come together..I just want more..(greedy ole me)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul

That is a brilliant looking layout. Very well done indeed.

Andrew