Hobby Boss 1:35 Leopard 2A6M CAN

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Initial Afghanistan deployment before installation of Barracuda thermal camouflage.

Built OOB with no issues with the basic kit but the bar armour could have been better engineered especially suggesting that square holes are drilled! At least the full size bar armour isn't always fitted perfectly.

First experience of painting with Mr Hobby aqueous colours which I found sprayed really well using their own thinners.

Weathering with home made mix of chalk pastels.

MarkIMGP0679.JPGIMGP0680.JPGIMGP0681.JPGIMGP0682.JPGIMGP0683.JPGIMGP0684.JPGIMGP0685.JPGIMGP0686.JPGIMGP0687.JPGIMGP0688.JPGIMGP0689.JPGIMGP0690.JPGIMGP0691.JPGIMGP0692.JPG

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Initial Afghanistan deployment before installation of Barracuda thermal camouflage.

Built OOB with no issues with the basic kit but the bar armour could have been better engineered especially suggesting that square holes are drilled! At least the full size bar armour isn't always fitted perfectly.

First experience of painting with Mr Hobby aqueous colours which I found sprayed really well using their own thinners.

Weathering with home made mix of chalk pastels.

MarkView attachment 433650View attachment 433651View attachment 433652View attachment 433653View attachment 433654View attachment 433655View attachment 433656View attachment 433657View attachment 433658View attachment 433659View attachment 433660View attachment 433661View attachment 433662View attachment 433663
That is a cracking result. If you find a square drill let me know lol.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been looking at your completed builds, they're all really impressive. I particularly like the way you photograph them, with that simple contrasting background. How do you set this up? it really focuses attention on the model itself.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Been looking at your completed builds, they're all really impressive. I particularly like the way you photograph them, with that simple contrasting background. How do you set this up? it really focuses attention on the model itself.
I use a folding light box similar to the one below - it is about a 60cm cube when assembled and has two adjustable brightness LED lighting strips - mine was from an Amazon seller. The camera is a DSLR on a tripod - I use aperture priority with a small aperture so the exposure is quite long henc the tripod. The kit came with several different backgrounds which can be arranged to curve so effectively you have an "infinite" backdrop. I find the blue or neutral grey ones are best for the armour models - the white one tends to under expose everything a bit and black can cause the camera to over expose a bit but its worth experimenting - I guess a winter camo vehicle would look good with a black backdrop.

1633433093191.png

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A very nice finish, as mentioned above, great pictures as well.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mark

Somehow missed this. That's turned out very well indeed.

A great effort and like the others have said great photos.

ATB.

Andrew

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mark,
Well made and well completed.
Yes the 'bar armour' is a bone of contention as I found out with mine, but changed it to brass, as seen on my 2A4M
20211019_104058.jpg

But all credit to you for working with it
Mike

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Mark,
Well made and well completed.
Yes the 'bar armour' is a bone of contention as I found out with mine, but changed it to brass, as seen on my 2A4M
View attachment 436455

But all credit to you for working with it
Mike
Cheers - is that Barracuda finish the aftermarket resin version?

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Cheers - is that Barracuda finish the aftermarket resin version?
Hello Mark.
The resin barracuda was far to uniform and unrealistic in finish, So I went after the product by Arkebuza. It comes in a cream colour but you can pre paint it to whatever colour you want.
I just mixed up a colour I wanted from acrylic paint and then 'dyed' the material and laid it out on a plasic bag inside out to dry. then crushed it up and stretched it out. It will go back to almost flat, but no worry.
For the 'thermal blanket' I used thinly rolled out Milliput fine white, this was then cut close to the shape on the model and left in place to dry. Once dry ir was given a couple of coats of colour and once dry the 'cuda can be added. First cut a piece near the shape you want and using a little c/a cement the forward edge to the 'blanket. Let this dry - and once dry then the loose edge is stretched so that it lifts the netting shape, this again is c/a'd to the after edge and held untill dry. You can then use a diluted mix of PVA and water to secure the rest of the netting in place and at the same time distress and shape the netting as it will become pliable.
20211019_140219.jpg
As in the above example always work from the front to back and centre out.
Where to get the Arkebuza? I looked online and I am sure it came from either Australia or China from dealers that I use and trust.
Hope this helps
Mike.