HobbyBoss 1/48 Russian KV1

A

andygh

Not sure what I'm gonna do when it's built, a diorama would be interesting, who knows?

I haven't built a tank since about 19(mumble mumble) so things have chaged a lot and like a few others on here dioramas are totally new to me, just have to see how it goes I guess. It'll be interesting for me even if it turns out to be a big pile of pants.

Blimey, have we only got 4 months

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

That looks one hell of a kit. Given the right treatment that will be a peach on it's own. I am seriously impressed by all this 1/48 armour!

Whatever you decide to do with it I'm sure it will be great and you have a lot of support on here should you need it.

Good luck with the build and welcome aboard.

Cheers

P

A

andygh

Thanks, I've got lots of new (to me) techniques and stuff to try out on this, should be good

F

Fenlander

That does look a really nice kit. Although I really do love the Tamiya 1:48, I am glad to see other offerings than Tamiya coming int the mix at this lovely scale. Good luck with the build, take your time and ask as many questions as you want,I think it ill be a cracker as they say.

B

bikerbart

Welcome to THE BEST forum around for model making Mate. Love the look of the kit, i reckon your ganna have a cracking time making that. Enjoy your time on here, nice and relaxed so just post away, all the best Martin :smiling:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Blimey, have we only got 4 months]
Hi Andy,

If you find yourself pushed for time, post this off to young Graham (Fenlander). He knocks these little 1/48 kits together in about 5 minutes! He could then send it back in plenty of time for you to do the painting and diorama stuff! lol

Gern

A

andygh

A quick question, probably not a quick answer. Is it normal to build tracks and wheels onto the model and then paint the lot? or to paint everything and then juggle the tracks together somehow?

F

Fenlander

I go for the latter. I tend to build it as far as I can without glueing the hull top on so that I can spray it all up but still remove the top. I then paint and add the tracks and wheels, weather them up and then put the top back on. If you get track colour on the lower hull sides while weathering the track it doesn't matter as the muck on the tracks would be on the sides as well.

I know that some build up the tracks while the wheels are just pushed on then gently slide the lot off and paint the track loop then. I never have much luck doing this especially with Tamiya 1:48 as the wheels are not a friction fit on the spindles, they tend to be too loose to be able to do this.

R

rogue-one

hi there andy. welcome to the build. i'm new here to and i'm doing a 1/35 scale KV-1 tank. i've never done a tank before. should be interesting, and fun. i think you should do a wee dio with yours. even if its just ground under the tank. it's all new to me too but you should just go for it!

A

andygh

Yes Bobby, I do intend to have some sort of base if time alows

Here's the progress so far. Most parts built up, cleaned and ready for paint

Here they've had a splosh of paint, they need another spray and then I'll be thinking about weathering etc

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

Looking faultless so far. Are the wire grab rails your additions? - they look terrific!

Cheers

Paul

A

andygh

Yes Paul, I added the brass handles on top of the turret because the supplied plastic ones looked too small compared to photographs I've looked at, they didn't protrude far enough past the bolt on armour. They'd probably be fine on the standard KV1 turret though

thanks, Andy

A

andygh

Time for some updates. I've been working nights so it's been going in dribs & drabs this week

I gave it a spray of Russian green mixed with a touch of yellow on the upper surfaces only, then I somehow wangled the tracks on after they'd been given a dirty wash and drybrushed the treads with a drop of steel colour

Next I went over it with a tiny sponge and some dirty brown paint simulating damaged paint

I gave it a coat of Klear and had a go at the deals, it took 4 coats of MicroSol to get them tucked in around all the bolt heads

Another coat of Klear on the decals and I gave it a going over with Promodeller "dark dirt" wash, then wiped most of it off

A touch of steel coloured paint along upper panel edges, rivets and anywhere infantry boots might wear the paint off

Last few (vulnerable) parts to go on

Painted cables steel, then washed with brownish ink

Final bits going together, washed it over in places with a darkish ink

Experimented with a bit of burnt umber pigment on the lower hull, it's not too bad but I need a wider range of colours

And this is where I'm at now. Needs more weathering and some inspiration for ideas to build a diorama or summat. I'd like to add some figures, especially a commander shoving his head out of the hatch

The bit I'm most pleased with is the simulated cast metal surface around the front of the turret and the gun recoil box thingy

Anyone got any ideas?

K

Kressy13

WOW mate. This looks amazing, great work. Wouldn't want that coming at me. Cheers.

Kresten.

djellis10

djellis10
This looks great...i have myself just finished a 1/35 trumpeter kv-1. I will post pics as soon as i can.

R

rogue-one

hi andy. yes! that looks fantastic! very nicely done. build, colours, weathering, its all good. loads of nice detailing in there. i've just finished building my KV-1 and i've now primed it. if you've got any tips and advise let me know?!

C

Cov1

Realy good work there, nice detailing and paint job.

Never done one of these, so maybe its time in the future for one.

Thanks

Ade

A

andygh

Cheers fellas

I haven't got any tips really as I'm learning as I go along. All I can suggest is get as many reference photos as you can find

I think I'm becoming a AFV addict, they have a brutal charm all there own, more cash on it's way to the model shop

A

andygh

Hi all, I haven't fallen off the end of the world, just busy with boring stuff, work huh?

Anyhow, here are a few snaps of the dio base I've come up with, it's constantly evolving and I'm actually a fair bit further on than this now

Waiting for some scenic materials etc to arrive in the post and I'll be getting more done