HobbyBoss 1/72 German 80cm K(E) Railway Gun 'Dora' (82911) - Demo Build

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My latest update on my Dora build.

The bogies are almost completed now. I still have some decals to apply and glue some steps to the bogie sides:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0201.JPG

Although I have assembled many parts, there are many more to go. Here are the components for four ladders and there are another two slightly, different, ladders to assemble:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0191.JPG

The cleaning up of the ladder sides and rungs took a long time:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0192.JPG

Here I am assembling four ladders with the other two ladders already assembled. These ladders took a long time to put together but I found it best to glue the rungs two at a time, let them dry and then move on to the next pair of rungs:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0194.JPG

Once the ladders were assembled, I started cleaning up some railings and another pair of ladders:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0195.JPG

After those were cleaned up, it was time to clean up a lot of pipework:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0196.JPG

The pipework was then glued to the outside faces of the cradles:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0197.JPG

Other pipework was fitted to the outside of the mounts:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0198.JPG

There were four each side:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0199.JPG

The cradles dry-fitted in place:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0200.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Dave,

Sorry got behind on this. That's coming on nicely. I saw one of these at a show last weekend and so got a proper impression of just how big it is!

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I finished reading the book Dave mentioned, and must say it’s very interesting. Though it covers German railway artillery in general, the bulk of the book is about Dora, and what a ridiculous piece of kit it was … Now, I already knew that, of course, but it turned out to be even worse than I thought. It even goes into some detail about Hitler’s typical interference: during the only combat deployment — which, incidentally, took two months’ hard work to prepare and around 5,000 workers in all, to build a double railway of about 2 km long, with a third track alongside for about half the length and the need to make a cutting through a small hill — it fired all of 48 shots. When some of the results of these were reported to Hitler, he responded that some of the targets attacked were not worthy of a gun like this, because it had been designed for use against concrete fortifications rather than underground ammunition storage. So, he ordered that it only be used against concrete fortifications …

As Dave said, the book has very good photos of the real thing, especially the ones of it being assembled, and also interesting that they put a chapter about models of it in the back. Even a picture of someone’s second (!) scratchbuilt paper (!) one in 1:87.

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone modelled any of the British railway guns?
Pete