HobbyBoss 1/72 German 80cm K(E) Railway Gun 'Dora' (82911) - Demo Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Chris, you did say " id love to build that big scale gun if i could afford it an had the space " !
You seem to have the space, although I doubt if you have much space or money left after your investment in the Tiger.
Pete
HI Pete no more space or dosh but its a great gun

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Now for my final build post of this year.

A shot of the parts that still need painting and fitting, safely stored away. So far I have lost just one piece out of a total of over 1760 pieces and that pinged off into the distance somewhere. Luckily, I can scratchbuild a replacement easily enough:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0121.JPG

I have started to fit the frames to the tops of the bogies. I can't fit the other frames until the wheels have been painted and fitted:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0122.JPG

I found a problem with the ammunition hoists. They would not fit to the loading ramp arms so I had to perform some drastic surgery.:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0123.JPG

Having removed the plastic from the ammunition hoists I had to glue plastic card to ensure that they would fit at the right height. They will be trimmed once the glue has dried hard:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0124.JPG

Next it was time to fit guardrails, starting with the hoists and a couple of platforms:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0125.JPG

The intermediate carriers got their guardrails too:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0126.JPG

It may be a mistake doing the guardrails for the mounts so early. We will see:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0127.JPG

Guardrails were also fitted to the loading ramps:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0128.JPG

That is all until 2022 now. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just caught up with this one Dave,
WOW!! What a kit ... A rather large amount of staying power required for such a build I'd say!!
Progress is pretty phenomenal so far Sir... I'm hooked ;)
Don't let such a trivial thing as Christmas get in the way mind!!
Andy

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I had planned to resume this build on 15th January but, unfortunately, real-life has got in the way of things and I may not be resuming this build for a while, at least not quickly as before Christmas.

Less than two weeks ago, my elderly mother (91) was diagnosed as having a 16cm tumour on her ovaries. Thankfully, it is benign and self-contained. An operation is planned for 10th February but there is a snag. At her pre-op last week it was discovered that she has a weak heart - too weak to stand the tumour operation. As a consequence of that discovery, she will be undergoing heart surgery tomorrow (18th January). I can't go down just yet as she can't risk catching Covid before either operation but I am prepared for a dash down to Essex for an undetermined length of time.

Don't worry though - this build is much too big to be bunged on the Shelf of Doom!

Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I had planned to resume this build on 15th January but, unfortunately, real-life has got in the way of things and I may not be resuming this build for a while, at least not quickly as before Christmas.

Less than two weeks ago, my elderly mother (91) was diagnosed as having a 16cm tumour on her ovaries. Thankfully, it is benign and self-contained. An operation is planned for 10th February but there is a snag. At her pre-op last week it was discovered that she has a weak heart - too weak to stand the tumour operation. As a consequence of that discovery, she will be undergoing heart surgery tomorrow (18th January). I can't go down just yet as she can't risk catching Covid before either operation but I am prepared for a dash down to Essex for an undetermined length of time.

Don't worry though - this build is much too big to be bunged on the Shelf of Doom!

Dave
Dave

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope the heart op goes ok.

ATB.

Andrew

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Having spent quite a bit of time down in England seeing my mother, I can report that she is in good form all things considered. Now I am back home I can finally restart this build.

Supports for the edges of the loading ramps have been glued in place:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0129.JPG

Remember these wheels? Time to do something about them otherwise they will hold up further progress on this build:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0130.JPG

The forty pairs of wheels were primed with gloss black base:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0131.JPG

That is all for now

Dave

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Having spent quite a bit of time down in England seeing my mother, I can report that she is in good form all things considered. Now I am back home I can finally restart this build.

Supports for the edges of the loading ramps have been glued in place:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0129.JPG

Remember these wheels? Time to do something about them otherwise they will hold up further progress on this build:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0130.JPG

The forty pairs of wheels were primed with gloss black base:
HobbyBoss_Dora_Railway_Gun_72_0131.JPG

That is all for now

Dave
Glad your Mom's doing okay Dave