HobbyBoss Akula 1/350

First Name
Neal
Pretty happy with the result, it could be better but this is my practice model, I have another Akula to try and do better.
40d.jpg

Now it's safe and secure from my bumbling mitts in my bookcase. I feel so relieved!
40a.jpg

Defects
Somehow I got a small, matchhead-size black blemish on the red hull of the show side. Don't know where that came from cuz the primer was gray... I tried to mix a matching blend of paint, it didn't match, so I sanded it out and in the process managed to make the blemish 5x bigger.
21.gif
I mixed another blend, still did not match but decided enough was enough and settled.

The decals on the show side came out ok but the curving decal across the bow is noticeably lower on the no side that the show side. I didn't have the nerve to keep making adjustments so I got the show side set and moved on.

One of the front masts was misaligned and I experimented with heating up a metal mini-tool to soften the mast and allow me to bend it slightly. Got the tool too hot and almost melted clear through the mast! Stopped just in time.

One of the masts broke and I had to cement it back together, that was tricky.

As I said before, the PE hatches are a mess. Hopefully I can do better next time.
10.gif

Lessons learned
Wash and clean the hull before priming.
Use Tamiya masking tape.
Use a different glue for PE parts.
Make damn sure I have plenty of hull paint left over for touch ups.

Looking for suggestions and critiques, what should I do better and how to do it would be nice.

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Neil, a nice looking Akula. The reviews of this model are that the key is the paint job as the detailing is very nice indeed, hobbyboss do make some fine models.

To be honest, I think you have done a great job, like most models, even if tackled before there are things that can happen, paint goes wrong, decals split etc etc, the list can go on and on. You recovered the model from issues and learnt from it, nice work and one that looks superb on your shelf.

First Name
Neal
Thanks, man, yes, I see it the same way, it looks ok. I made a few mistakes that show, but I can live with it. I hope that my skills increase from what I've learned.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks very fine to me Neal. We all make mistakes, and we all learn from them. Trouble is, once we learn not to make that one again, we make different mistakes, so we then learn something else not to do again. It’s called experience :thumb2:
I have a Mini Cooper that is perfect on one side…everything I could want. The other side has a fingerprint in the paint on the door. I still don’t know how I did it, so i don know what mistake to learn. I just leave it in the cabinet with the good side showing……

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks, man, yes, I see it the same way, it looks ok. I made a few mistakes that show, but I can live with it. I hope that my skills increase from what I've learned.

Even with skills getting better and better errors will still creep in. It happens, a momentary lapse and it goes snafu. I tend to build well, knackered look stuff bit, I once did a model for a client and airbrushed it and but the piece under a lid to protect it, came back to check and the thing had dust specs on! Just one of those things, sanded back and started again.

Two of the main issues with modelling is PE, can be a right faff to bend, apply and paint. And decals, on curved surfaces they can slip, not align, wrinkle, split etc.

Just keep at it and if all else fail, use a hammer and a roller, works for me.