Hole in compresser tank how to mend.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have been having problems with my as186 lately as it was taking a long time to to come up to pressure and I found a minute hole as it looks like it has rusted through is there any that can mend it properly as at the moment I have put some super glue on it and some strong tape which has solved the problem for the moment is there a more permanent solution or will it be better to get a new tank or just replace the whole thing.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oops! Forgot to mention it isn't fully cured for 4-6 hours. Also, when fully cured, it will withstand up to 3127 psi. ......way more than your AB compressor can put out.
Cheers Peter, Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Unfortunately if a tiny rust hole has developed then there are probably other areas of the tank going the same way. At the end of every airbrush session I release pressure by taking out the tank drain plug. This not only releases the pressure but also blows out collected water. I leave the plug out until the compressor is needed again.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have been having problems with my as186 lately as it was taking a long time to to come up to pressure and I found a minute hole as it looks like it has rusted through is there any that can mend it properly as at the moment I have put some super glue on it and some strong tape which has solved the problem for the moment is there a more permanent solution or will it be better to get a new tank or just replace the whole thing.
Peter,
the fact that there is a hole in your tank means that there is something nasty happening in the interior! If there's one hole, then you can bet there's more developing. Repair is a brief stop-gap, I'd start looking for a replacement!
As a matter of interest, where have you been using your compressor, indoors, garage, shed?
Dave

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
As a matter of interest, where have you been using your compressor, indoors, garage, shed?
I have always used it indoors I have had it four years trouble free service but about 18 months ago I did remove the drain plug and had quite a bit of water drain out so I fear the damage is already done it only cost me £35 so I have good service out of it I am still learning as it my first one pay day is looming and I do have one lined up.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The thing most of us forget I'm sure, any one who has been in the Army will know that every night we had to leave all air tank open to allow any moisture to drain. Same thing applies to our tanks, Jim is right to do this.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I’d buy the same model again, saving the old one for spares, minus the tank. I’ve got the same one and that’s what I intend to do when my very old one expires.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have always used my AS 186 indoors - in a dry warm room, and I've never found any condensation in the tank ( or for that matter in the condensation trap ). - Mine's just passed it's 4th birthday, but it's still going strong. About the only thing I've replaced is the delivery hose!
Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Pretty sure I run a sparmax compressor but as for the other I'm with dave never seen any thing in the moisture traps have never undone the holding tank plug but it has got a sort of rapid drain valve thing you pull this ring and it lets all the air out in one mighty hiss ,when this happens the rescue cat looks at you as if to say I suppose you think that's funny whereas the dog also rescue does one as fast as his little legs will take him(mummy's little bear)I'm sure the cat cat would high five if it could. Sorry I've wandered off subject. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funny that. I have a tankless compressor and get moisture in the trap regularly. I also spray indoors in a heated room, but live in a solid walled cottage with no damp proof course, so the humidity is relatively high compared to some homes. I would say a rust hole in the compressor reservoir makes it life expired.

D

Deleted member 5496

Funny that. I have a tankless compressor and get moisture in the trap regularly. I also spray indoors in a heated room, but live in a solid walled cottage with no damp proof course, so the humidity is relatively high compared to some homes. I would say a rust hole in the compressor reservoir makes it life expired.

compared to some homes. I would say a rust hole in the compressor reservoir makes it life expired.
[/QUOTE]

Think Tim it will be the compressor continually striving away & gets hot.
The air then being hot can absorb more water in vapour form.

Switch off compressor cools down & vapour in compressor chamber & hose
form into water. Next time the compressor is switched on it blows out that
encapsulated water.

With a tank not so bad as the compressor , checked mine, is hardly warm.
Never have any water in both water traps. Jersey has one of the highest RH in the
world about 88 Live in London 67. Figures approx from memory.

Tank or no tank best to empty tankv & hose of compressed air. I am OK have leak somewhere.

Build up is quite staggering. Had problems with one building. Prodded, made hole
in the insinuation & we were all covered in condensed water. The contractor had
omitted the vapour barrier.

Laurie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I check for water in the tank. Take out drainplug. Wrap a piece of kitchen paper around your finger and use it to cover the drain hole. Switch the compressor on and allow a bit of pressure to build. Gentle release the pressure by moving the wrapped finger slightly. Turn off compressor and look at the paper. Any dampness means there is moisture in the tank. I get water in the tank but non in the in line moisture trap.

D

Deleted member 5496

I check for water in the tank. Take out drainplug. Wrap a piece of kitchen paper around your finger and use it to cover the drain hole. Switch the compressor on and allow a bit of pressure to build. Gentle release the pressure by moving the wrapped finger slightly. Turn off compressor and look at the paper. Any dampness means there is moisture in the tank. I get water in the tank but non in the in line moisture trap.

Nice imaginative solution Jim.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have just stripped the compressed all clean inside hoping it might do a bit better but after nearly 15 minutes of running it didn't come up to pressure I Can conclude it's had its days never mind I have a new one from the shop on the way.

D

Deleted member 5496

Sell it as a leaky compressor Peter.

Actually remove the tank & reconnect hoses & you have a spare.

Laurie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have a new one from the shop on the way.
Although it is always annoying to have to spend money when you didn't expect to I think you have made a wise decision. The old one was clearly finished. Just make sure you drain the tank on the new one to avoid any rust issues :thumb2:
Jim

D

Deleted member 5496

Pity they do not install on the tanks the quick release thing me bob which is on the little, cannot remember the name, water collectors.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Peter it owes you nothing. I reckon, if my maths is right, it has cost about 2.5p a day!!! Even the most tight fisted modeller can't really complain at that :tongue-out3:
Jim