Homemade Honda Cub C70 1/35th scale

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, anyone wanting to scratchbuild Honda Cub C70 can do it as it is possible or get the Dio-Park kit now available.

In 2007 I wanted a local universal motorbike that is instantly recognize in an Asian environment set in the 70's. There were none in the market at the time except for out of scale toy metal ones. So I set about collecting research and photos of the real bike and started with a scaled picture profile of one.

rr0045.jpg

Then I set about creating the skeleton framework and scrounged the right diameter wheels from an Italeri Harley Davidson...surprised it had almost the same diameter rim but I had to trim down the tyres of its thickness. If I had more patience and skill I would have thinned it further to scale and because of that the bike was scaled around 1/32. The figure came in handy to make sure I kept the scale between 1/35 and 32.

rr0046.jpg

I made sub-assemblies of the parts that would be added to the frame just like parts from a sprue. Most of it were from plastic strip and rod carved and sanded to shape. I shaved off certain parts from the Harley that looked similar to parts on the Honda. The mudguards were two pieces of thin card sandwiching a thicker one bent around the tyre and sanded down. Putty was added where ever contours needed building up. I didn't bother with working parts and just glued where ever it needed connecting

rr0047.jpg

The next image shows the state of art my camera was at the time...no macro. Anyway it's the shock absorbers and foot rest made from different sized rods and laminated with Tamiya tape. Honestly even with my optivisor on they looked just like this. :smiling6:

rr0048.jpg

The next hardest process was the splash guard. To get the curve and slope, cuts were made at stress points and then a layer was laminated on the outer side. The little aperture for the choke and petrol mix levers was pre-drilled before attaching the splash guard. Bits of plastic simulated the levers and pipes.

rr0049.jpg

At this point I was regretting not sanding the tyres thinner...I still pressed on. More to come later.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great bit of scratch building. I saw one of these (actually a C90) in restored condition a few months ago. First one I’d seen in years.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Tim, not many on the road now, being overtaken by later models but occasionally there are some ridden by our local bread man or roti man.

1608022330167.png

Would like to do one of these some day...wonder how to wrap the goodies in simulated cellophane wraps.

You still see these bikes in Bangkok and Ho Chi Min city or beach resorts in SEA for hire.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Amazing scratch building. I wouldn't know where to start. The sort of thing our Simon T would have tackled.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, here's more of it...

After laminating the splash guards and sanding into shape I sprayed black primer to check on anything not right and corrected the shape of the petrol tank which sits under the seat. Then proceeded to detail the exhaust with thin welded lips from styrene strip. I bent a thick wire for the connecting pipe.

rr0050.jpg

I mixed some putty and kneaded to shape the seat and added the belt from flattened putty. On the real bike there is a gap underneath the seat between the petrol tank and rear mud guard.

rr0051.jpg

Detail on the front fork and mud guard. Little bits of rod and styrene strips were used bolts and hub assembly.

rr0052.jpg

The handle bars were thick wire bent at an angle, attached to two styrene tubes that were glued at right angles and coated with putty. A disc for a lamp was attached to one end of the tube and the other had a rod inserted to go through another tube attached to the frame and attached to the fork. This allowed for directing the front wheel.

rr0053.jpg

More later.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, the bike didn't come with a basket when it was imported. The basket was installed locally. I made it from brass wire mesh following plans I drew up.

rr0054.jpg

The cut shape was folded and secured with CA and anchored further with more CA. I painted parts of the spoke, engine and absorber in chrome silver. Just lying in the foreground is a wire bent to make the kick starter.

rr0055.jpg
rr0056.jpg

I flattened the top of the center of the handle bar for the speedometer and added two signal lights on either side of the main lamp.

rr0057.jpg

At this stage it started to look like the Honda.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Excellent work. Certainly impressive to build a small bike at 1/35 scale.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Excellent "Scratchduggery" Richard and that is a "cute" little model..........The Museum I frequent has a few of these in unrestored condition....seeing this just takes me back to my youth. First bike I ever rode.....then later on an S90..........thought I could fly.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen...Andrew, Jim, John and Rick. :smiling2:

Surprised that there were Cubs in the US as I haven't seen any pictures of them. I've seen Vespa's though. I bet a convertible must have been more popular.

There are a few things added here like the piping for the seat made from fuse wire. and the kick starter and foot break lever.

rr0058.jpg

More detail on the handle bar with box switches and throttle guard with the hand break lever. Also added were reveres mirrors on fuse wire and the speedometer edge with fuse wire too. On the side is a flip flop I scratched.

rr0059.jpg

Shaped some plastic rods for rear indicator lights and the break light cut from a single piece of thick plastic block.

rr0059a.jpg

On the left side I fitted the foot gear levers from copper wire and a piece of plastic strip. The footrest was carved from thick plastic rod.

rr0060.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Rick...I managed to find a riding figure that fitted the little Honda, he's a Waffen SS rider from Tamiya I think.

rr0061.jpg

I removed the basket for ease of painting the body in the familiar grey, one of many colors that it came in. You will notice a strip of plastic just under the seat for the Honda winged emblem.

rr0062.jpgrr0063.jpg

At this point the indicator lights haven't been painted but the chrome parts picked out.

rr0064.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s looking great. lovely job on the body and seat. The leg guards are super as well.
The figure looks like a re-enacter going to a gig in full kit LOL....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Tim, ya he does look like a re-enactor riding the bike to a show.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Ralph
Great work Richard :smiling3:.
I remember these being called honda placcy(all ths plastic). or a fizzy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ralph...did they have these in UK as well. I thought they had only Mopeds

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Ralph
Thanks Ralph...did they have these in UK as well. I thought they had only Mopeds

Cheers,
Richard
To be honest I'm not sure.I think you are correct about mopeds...I just saw it and thought honda placcy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ralph, you wouldn't be too wrong either as the C70 frame was covered and mostly in plastic save for the petrol tank under the seat and near the engine.

Cheers,
Richard