Homemade pine tree

D

dubster72

Just after some opinions on my 1st pine tree. Rather than going for a Christmas type tree, I've based it more on ones you might see in a forest.

Please ignore the length of the lower trunk as I've left extra for it to be inserted into a diorama base.

20170411_164715.jpg20170411_164728.jpg

Apologies for the pics being on their side.. I don't know why this has happened

Thanks for looking
Patrick

Attachments

• 20170411_164715.jpg
    20170411_164715.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 7

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks good to me patrick , the one thing that stands out though is the very top of the tree , maybe use some more green coming vertically out of the top , cheers tony

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That does look Patrick, very effective, as Tony points out needs some from the top but apart from that looks the part.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
they look great,Patrick,I have seen these done this way before,;)
using the Apologies fern,I did try ,but they did not turn out so well,
as to preserve them I socked i a mix of 50/50 water/PVA,
but made them stick together :confused:
what will you be trying to use to coat them and stop them drying out,?,

P

Polux

Nice one Patrick!
Looks fine.;)
My only comment is; maybe I need to see more texture on the trunk. No more :smiling3:

D

dougie

Looks good, just needs some more realistic shape to the top as it seems a bit too arrow straight.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Couple of minor niggles the other guys have mentioned, but otherwise looks really good to me Patrick. Are you gonna do a 'How to...' for us?

D

dubster72

Thanks for all your input guys & gal! This is something I've never tried before, so everything is a learning curve ;)

Looks good to me patrick , the one thing that stands out though is the very top of the tree , maybe use some more green coming vertically out of the top , cheers tony
That does look Patrick, very effective, as Tony points out needs some from the top but apart from that looks the part.

Tony & Si, actually I ran out of preserved fern before I reached the top! So that'll be attended to soon.

they look great,Patrick,I have seen these done this way before,;)
using the Apologies fern,I did try ,but they did not turn out so well,
as to preserve them I socked i a mix of 50/50 water/PVA,
but made them stick together :confused:
what will you be trying to use to coat them and stop them drying out,?,

Thanks Moni, I used a 2:1 water & glycerine solution. The idea is that the fat in the glycerine is absorbed by the plant to keep it supple & not go brown.
I definitely wouldn't use PVA glue!

Nice one Patrick!
Looks fine.;)
My only comment is; maybe I need to see more texture on the trunk. No more :smiling3:
Thanks Polux. There is some texture because I added some artists pastels to simulate bark & lichen. The problem is that the dowel is only 4mm diameter, so keeping in scale means being subtle which doesn't always come out in the pictures.

Better than my attempts Patrick.

Thanks Col!

Looks good, just needs some more realistic shape to the top as it seems a bit too arrow straight.
That's a good point Dougie ;) (see what I did there?) hehe
The top of the tree is a toughie. I couldn't find any pictures of tree tops coz they're so high I guess. And living in London means I don't have any first hand examples! I'll experiment more with subsequent attempts.

Couple of minor niggles the other guys have mentioned, but otherwise looks really good to me Patrick. Are you gonna do a 'How to...' for us?

I didn't take any in progress photos on this one Dave, but I probably will with my next one :smiling3:

Thanks again to you all

M

-Matt-

I didn't take any in progress photos on this one Dave, but I probably will with my next one

Yes you will, we demand it! :D
Foliage looks fantastic, I really like that. Ditto on previous comments such as the pointedness and sparseness.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will look forward to the walk through,on this one,;)