Honda CB750F Tamiya 1/12

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Best explain this one

Due to ill health I've not built a kit for 18 months....and currently I don't have access to my stash or tools paint etc........so I need to kickstart the hobby again with something I can go back to basics with

Needs to be simple with known gremlins.....All painting will be either hairy stick or rattle can

I've done this kit at least 4 times in last 15 years.....it's one of my 'go to' kits (along with the lotus 7) that I never get tired of doing.......so I know it's short comings.......lots of filling and sanding of body bits to get smooth fit.......strip crappy chrome of the exhausts and spray matt black......plan is to go red body work.......keep it simple

Got nothing planned for weekend as I'm resting my dodgy knee.......and Sunday I will be sat in front of telly all day as it's BTTC at Thruxton.....so I can make a start ...happy days :smiling4:20240607_185657.jpg

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Sorry to hear of your health issues but great to see that you're getting back into the hobby - and what a cracking subject!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hope it is a as much fun as mine was Paul. Great kit, as you said, except there’s a far bit of clean up and the decals aren’t great.

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sitrep time

Been painting over the weekend......now ready to start assembly....which of course is the fun bit

Not happy with the quality of my rattle canning....just cant get a shiny finish but not going to try any further20240611_170236.jpg

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Looking forward to the assembly. Quite fancy doing a motor bike but know diddly squat about them.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Sitrep time

Been painting over the weekend......now ready to start assembly....which of course is the fun bit

Not happy with the quality of my rattle canning....just cant get a shiny finish but not going to try any furtherView attachment 511321
If you want a shiny tank and body work and feel brave!! once the paint has cured 24 - 48 hours longer the better.. gently rub down with 2000 grit wet emery and then dry off and degrease the parts then apply a couple of thin coats of clear gloss it will bring the shine right out but don‘t go to hard or deep.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looks mighty fine to me Paul. Your rattle can glossy work is a heck of a lot better than my hissy stick glossy work, hands down Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I wish i could do that Si but i dont have all my tools and gubbins available.. .all in storage at the mo.....so this is back to basics lol

But i bought a bottle of humbrol clear and ive gently given the tank etc a brush over....will see tomorrow if it needs a second coat

If i had all my gear i would have stripped the paint off and started again and done it properly

Current state of play....frame together... .lump in....swinging arm and wheel in20240612_191541.jpg

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking forward to the assembly. Quite fancy doing a motor bike but know diddly squat about them.

If you can do a car you can do a bike......same process.....paint the bits shiny then put it together lol

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
I wish i could do that Si but i dont have all my tools and gubbins available.. .all in storage at the mo.....so this is back to basics lol

But i bought a bottle of humbrol clear and ive gently given the tank etc a brush over....will see tomorrow if it needs a second coat

If i had all my gear i would have stripped the paint off and started again and done it properly

Current state of play....frame together... .lump in....swinging arm and wheel inView attachment 511430
Looking nice, although i did think the forks were a bit long then it clicked :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: i should wear my glasses more often.
simon