Honda VFR400R Restoration

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So I bought this a while back and although it will take years I am going to start a rebuild (front fairing already removed)

IMG-20200322-WA0004.jpeg

When I got it it wouldn't start so after a bit of fiddling found choke cable snapped. Replaced this and still wouldn't start. More fiddling and found the fuel line cracked and leaking air. With that fixed it starts, however any quick throttle and it dies. So I suspect the main jets on the carbs are blocked.

But for now it's in the air where it lives with the front forks removed which I am stripping, recoating and then rebuilding with new seals.

Manuals for this bike are near next to none existent, as are spares so as a first bike restoration it's going to be interesting.

Forks now stripped and about to recoat.
Found a few parts I suspect missing from the forks though there are notable differences between left and right forks.

IMG-20210722-WA0006.jpeg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So the bit I forgot to add.

The chap who had this before me made a few changes which add to my jobs list.
The rear wheel has been changed to a CBR600 wheel, hence sprocket and rear brake discs are also different.
The front wheel is also from a CBR600 but hasn't been remachined as yet. I have a VFR400R front wheel which I will use for the minute but I intend to chat the the who bike back to stock VFR400R and will have CBR wheel set, discs and sprockets as a spare set. CBR600 has a wildly large tyre selection available bit to start with I want a correct base.

Other jobs:
New chain.
New exhaust (scratch build).
Forks rebuild.
Carbs rebuild.
Full clean.
Repaint.
Front wheel to fit.
Brakes to bleed and hoses to change.
Oil filter and oil change.
Seat to recover with different colour leather.

Will be a steep learning curve!

Currently making a manual from combining drawings and parts list in an excel sheet so I at least have some information to use.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ambitious project. Good looking bike.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
nice project......keep us updated

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Thanks for the input all :smiling3:

As for the manual Tim that's what I have but it's basic, very basic. I bought a Haynes manual for the NC30 think it would be a lot more similar than it is but alas, I guess it's good as reference.
That one you've sent me I am currently combining with the drawings from a Dutch parts website which has very good drawings. Thanks as always for the info. I was amazed how little there is for this bike, I guess namely as it was import only and also 34 years old now!

Just resprayed the forks today, gone for gold as opposed to the metallic brown they were.
Might whip the carbs out tomorrow I think.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry it’s no use. I looked for workshop manual and manufacturers service manual but that’s all that came up.
Was it a home market only bike then? If so, perhaps you can find a Japanese speaker that could google it? Not sure if there any on here, but worth a crack.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Sorry it’s no use. I looked for workshop manual and manufacturers service manual but that’s all that came up.
Was it a home market only bike then? If so, perhaps you can find a Japanese speaker that could google it? Not sure if there any on here, but worth a crack.

Thanks for looking Tim, I think that's an NC30 manual and it's in a few places. There's also one available if you dig very deep which says it's the NC24 but the suspension is different.

I have spent most my day typing parts lists up and printing the drawings so I have something to work from.
Just annoying really as I'd love to have a Haynes manual for it!! Also yes it was JDM only, hence parts are impossible to source.

My other half speaks Japanese but I am even struggling to find the original Japanese manual!

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Unfortunately not Tim, the NC24 is 1987, the it's Haynes is for the NC30.

It's soul destroying when you think you've found one and then realise it's not the one.

One good thing I do have is a generic 1987 Honda service manual, not for specifically bikes but it is good as a helping hand.

It's certainly an experience having to pull info and just work it out as you go along.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not surprised really. It would be a bit odd for Haynes to make a manual for a grey import :tongue-out3:
Just out of interest, have you tried contacting Honda direct? Might be worth a crack.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
My mate had one of these out in Germany. I had to look after it when he went to the gulf on det for a while. Whilst i found the lack of power compared to my CBR600 very noticeable, i do have to say that it was fantastic around the twisty corners and really a lot of fun. Not good for autobahns though lol

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
My mate had one of these out in Germany. I had to look after it when he went to the gulf on det for a while. Whilst i found the lack of power compared to my CBR600 very noticeable, i do have to say that it was fantastic around the twisty corners and really a lot of fun. Not good for autobahns though lol
I just saw it on eBay and thought it's a nice ornament.
It's the smallest bike I have currently as everything else is 750 or over.
Like the Rothmans colours on them and wanted a doer upper.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Not surprised really. It would be a bit odd for Haynes to make a manual for a grey import :tongue-out3:
Just out of interest, have you tried contacting Honda direct? Might be worth a crack.
This is an option and no I haven't yet, will do tonight and see if I have any joy.....

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Nice. A real jewel of an engine. I'll enjoy following along with this one....

Nick

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So between running errands etc I managed to do the final coat of lacquer on the forks today.
Hasn't come out too bad considering my facilities are limited for this type of operation.

Wondering whether to rebuild or not tomorrow now.
Or may continue compiling a manual.

IMG_20210728_112427.jpg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So removed all the masking tape today, replaced the drain screws and they don't look too bad.

Itching to start rebuilding but am going to hold off till next week when I have a friend who's an auto engineer at my disposal. I am 99.9% sure of what Im doing but don't want to mess up a set of seals and have wasted all this time so far.
Will be really happy to see them back together and hopefully working!

IMG_20210729_180755.jpgIMG_20210729_180736.jpgIMG_20210729_180731.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking good James. Certainly an interesting project and should keep you busy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It’s coming together James. Only the rest of the bike to go..…!