Hooked points - inevitable?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have a variety of brushes from expensive through to mid price and I do take care of them. Despite everything some do get a hook tip. For some jobs I actually find the little hook useful.
Peter D put me onto those Pro Arte synthetic brushes and I do find them excellent and good value. Mind you with his skills he could out-paint me with his eyes shut and using a stick held in his teeth :rolling:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Haven't been standing them up in water have you Andy? That can cause 'hooking' in minutes.
Pete
I can't say I never have Pete, but I definitely avoid doing so, especially with my better brushes.

Cheers Jim, I find the hook useful myself too sometimes, getting around the back of attached tools and the like, so will keep hold of them.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Always think it’s strange that they hook at the tip really easily but if you paint “against” the hook they don’t straighten out!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
All soft brushes hook after sometime of use. The only ones that don't are the Chinese caligraphy 0 and 1 paint brushes. They use coarser hair and stay sharp. They normally don't hold much paint just enough for a character but good for painting sharp detail like eyes on figures. The Balinese artiseans use them for intricate detail on their paintings and they are affordable.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Richard. I’ve only ever had synthetic or synthetic blend brushes hook. It’s never happened with a natural hair brush. Those calligraphy brushes sound interesting though. A sharp point with good spring and snap can be extremely useful.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone, in the end I hedged my bets lol.

I ordered a few of the Rosemary series 93's. They have a £10 minimum spend on their site so ended up with 4 in varying sizes, to see which I liked:

ntaWAey.jpg

And had a splurge at the craft shop, buying one of everything :tongue-out2:. With postage this bunch cost about the same as the 4 above, a lot more bang per buck! However, after using the sable ones a couple of times I have no regrets, they are in a different league, I just need to learn how to use them properly now!

aU6vHiJ.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I use hairy sticks exclusively. Some of my sables & camels are 50+ years old and still work great. Have two nylons that age but they have very course bristle so will never hook. I do have a couple Chinese caligraphy brushes from my mom but don't use them often. PaulE

Last edited:
First Name
Pete
I work in a body shop and use synthetic brushes all the time for small touch ups, I wash them in cellulose thinner and wipe them in a straight motion and leave them to dry upside down. No problems with them over the past 20 years.

D

Deleted member 5496

Go see rosemary brushes a superb standard brushes for every use.

Hooks. Wash immediately after use do not leave standing in water unless suspended. Rosemary does a stand. Also does brush cleaner.

Plus I always after washing (brush not body) , terrible I know, put the brush, hairy end only, in mouth & twist to a point.
Saliva must have a special ingredient which has a hairy effect.

Note please ensure all toxic items are removed from mouth, tut mean brush, before inserting in mouth aperture.

• Love

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I work in a body shop and use synthetic brushes all the time for small touch ups, I wash them in cellulose thinner and wipe them in a straight motion and leave them to dry upside down. No problems with them over the past 20 years.
Welcome to the forum Pete.