Hornby Dublo restoration project

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Thanks for the praise Laurie, I was doing a bit of spraying this evening but gave up after a blockage so just popped the airbrush in cleaning fluid to soak and will have another go tomorrow with a clean air brush.
Trying to do a variety of colour schemes.

To my knowledge Laurie I think they were smoke deflectors to keeps the drivers view clear........though I suspect Mr Marlow can either confirm or correct this?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
James .Great to see, and to think they go on to a new owner to treasure and enjoy .
Proper recycling.
Takes me back to my Hornby 3 rail days .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep,
Thanks for the praise Laurie, I was doing a bit of spraying this evening but gave up after a blockage so just popped the airbrush in cleaning fluid to soak and will have another go tomorrow with a clean air brush.
Trying to do a variety of colour schemes.

To my knowledge Laurie I think they were smoke deflectors to keeps the drivers view clear........though I suspect Mr Marlow can either confirm or correct this?
Yep, they were smoke deflectors. They funnel the air as the loco moves forward at speed and use it to drive the smoke up and away from the cab. They became necessary because as locomotive firebox and boiler design improved the velocity of smoke exiting the chimney reduced. Allied to the shape of the engine this caused smoke to cling to the boiler, so restricting visibility for the driver.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Indeed I do Tim, apparently the first of each class was done like this I think?
I think it will look quite nice.
Nice idea James. Indeed the first of each class, and sometimes of each batch if there were variations, was done in photographic grey to better show the lining and paint design, especially on the more complex Edwardian liveries. Photographic plates at the time were not panchromatic so certain lining colours didn’t show up unless they were emphasised in this way. They were, in effect, publicity shots for the new design.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “colour” photograph of photographic grey before, so don’t actually know what colours were used :thinking:
Just a though, but if you are running out of loco bodies have you given a thought to Dinky toy restoration carried out in much in the same way?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Done a bit of research on photographic grey while herself was in a shop..
Turns out it was usually done over the top of an already painted loco using water based paint, such as distemper. It was then washed off to save on an expensive repaint. The grey tones were apparently made by mixing soot into the base distemper white, and here’s the clincher…..they only painted the side that was going to be photographed :surprised:

D

Deleted member 5496

Yep,

Yep, they were smoke deflectors. They funnel the air as the loco moves forward at speed and use it to drive the smoke up and away from the cab. They became necessary because as locomotive firebox and boiler design improved the velocity of smoke exiting the chimney reduced. Allied to the shape of the engine this caused smoke to cling to the boiler, so restricting visibility for the driver.

Thank you Tim solved a 75 year old conundrum.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

No probs, mind you, as a dyed in the wool Edwardian loco aficionado I think they are really ugly! I’m not even that keen on superheated smoke boxes. I like mine flush and clean lined…

Gee I like all of them Tim.

Remember as a small boy going up to Hull from Kings Cross. 4 years old I would guess. about 1943.
There I passed on the platform, first ever seen, was this large dark grey thing. Smoke & steam jumping out in many places.

Seemed to be huffing & puffing. As we passed the driver & fireman leaning on the edge with those funny caps they wore.

Been on most of those still in existence. Best ride is from Fort William to Mallaig. Leaves the road & passes on the south side of lochs.
Past Prince Charlies Mount. Just open country side no fields just absolutely natural. superb.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve been to many of those in the Southern half of the country Laurie. My favourites being the Swanage railway and the Bluebell line. Steam engines need to be seen working. They are alive and have sounds and smells all their own. I have been to York museum a couple of times, and it’s like a mausoleum. All the locos are just stuffed and mounted exhibits compared to a heritage railway. As an aside, my brother in law was a passed (able to work main line trains) fireman on the Watercress line when he was younger, but doesn’t do that much there any more. His claim to fame was that he used to be the one that got the fish out of Thomas’ tank during the Thomas the tank engine days….

D

Deleted member 5496

Some years back we were up in Crewe.

Family 4 & Pauline & myself about 5:30 in the evening. Slightly chilly but comfortable. We climb one
of those wrought iron bridges which go over the tracks & stood on the top.

This Fireman & Drive were watering & oiling this locmotive. Putting it to bed. Shouting & laughing at
the top of theri voices so very funny.

The whole place was deserted except them & us. Just a lot of railway lines. In the end we
were all killing ourselves with laughter at their antics. They had no idea we were there they were just
having fun.

One of those times you never forget.

Laurie

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Thanks for all the info, I have gone for a medium grey which I think must be somewhere near.
All sprayed up except for the Darlington green one. Decided that I am going to redo black by brush the black with a brush instead of masking.

Just also found out that the lions have to face the front of the loco.

IMG_20210813_225522.jpgIMG_20210813_212803.jpg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So done a batch of 4, trying to do this a bit more to mean I have to clean brushes less. Decided that black is now done by brush as once varnished the brush lines are invisible and it's far quicker than making.

Also change buffer beam red to a Vallejo colour, this also goes on a lot better as it's thicker than the rail match. I feel the Vallejo is a better match for Hornby Dublo buffer beam red as well.

One of these (dark green) is to be GWR, two in Doncaster green will be LNER and the BR crimson will be lined in orange and black and done as a BR loco.

Maybe try another 4 tonight if my enthusiasm holds.....

IMG_20210819_181425.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Look the part James, always nice when some colour that suits like that.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice splash of colour there James. Not sure about the GWR green one, though it was the same as BR green….…..

D

Deleted member 5496

Agree James. Vallejo colours are brilliant. Use them a lot on small detail parts.

Love that dull red colour. Can I have that one. No OK understand.

Laurie

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So dig in the consumables cupboard and found low and behold a bag of enthusiasm!

Tim, it looks like BR green until put next to a BR green one so I'm not sure. That's sprayed in Rail match GWR green.

Laurie, below are some more red ones. Two are in BR crimson (lighter) and two in Crimson lake (darker). The darker ones will be LMS locos and the lighter BR lined.

Thanks John!

IMG_20210819_221725.jpg

D

Deleted member 5496

Love that dark green at the top James. Heck what a collection.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi James. Nice set of engines there.
Here is a bit more on colours…….
Up until BR centralised paint supplies in the late 1950’s paint shops maintained the time honoured practice of the foreman mixing the paint to match a “standard panel” supplied by central office. Swindon painted engines were still out shopped in GWR green up until that point. Crimson lake is a lovely colour that had its origins in the pre group Midland railway. The LMS replaced it with a cheaper hue using less expensive pigments.

PS, can you send me some of that enthusiasm…..I seem to have misplaced mine at the moment.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
James

Coming on very nicely indeed.

Well done.

Andrew

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Thanks Laurie, Tim and Andrew.

Yes I am bursting with enthusiasm and feel progress is showing that. Probably the thought of having some bench space when they are done I think?

I think Tim my paint schemes mainly roughly reflect Hornby dublo ones that were produced with a few exceptions I just think look good.

I did how ever make the mistake of ebaying two locos with the BR lions pointing aft. This was soon pointed out to me by many ebayers lol!