Hornby Dublo restoration project

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving that. Great beasts the Deltics…..they must have done a lot of miles over their lifetime.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi James
Just found this thread and had a read through from the beginning. Virtually a year's work so far. You have definitely made a fine job of these.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Thanks for all the comments, really pleased with how the windows came out as they are ones I made from thicker acetate and seem to look really good. A common issue with these is the condition I get them in they are either missing windows or they are all cracked.

Just finishing a black one too, again a scheme that never existed and still pondering it as it's just not what I want. Have done the roof cream, body black with yellow ends bit think window need doing silver to break up the expanse of black.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I had a Silver King amongst others , loved it . Sold all my stock to a friend who was an avid collector.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
They are really good James, the lining around the boiler must have been trying to do.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Again, great work!!

ATB.

Andrew

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice to see a Deltic in your collection, I was lucky enough to work on one for over 10 years in preservation, a real beast of a loco.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So after looking at the pictures of the previous A4 the chassis annoyed me somewhat as it is looking tired next to a brand new looking body.
So, I got some running chassis of eBay and tore them to bits. Some bits in the ultrasonic currently but chassis was stripped to the basic block, repainted and varnished and now reassembling. Motor runs much smoother now.

All that remains to be done is the decals and refit wheels and coupling rods once wheels are painted same colour as the body.

IMG_20231201_132808.jpg
IMG_20231201_140150.jpg
IMG_20231201_133006.jpg
IMG_20231201_185755.jpgIMG_20231201_185750.jpg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So progress has been hammered by the lack of a new ultrasonic cleaner as the old one died a death. Could probably continue however I think I it would niggle at me if I did.
New lining tools arrived yesterday so playing about with those as I want to do some experiments.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What lining pen did you use? I’ve used a mapping pen, OK but not great on long runs like that, a bow pen (fiddly and prone to blobs using paint) and a Bob Moore lining pen I borrowed from my brother in law. The Moore pen was good, but only worked with Humbrol paint and was a bit clumsy in use. Your results look really good, better than I ever managed :thumb2:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
That's a bob Moore pen with standard head.
Paint I am using in it is thinned Mr Colour actually as I hadn't meant to do anymore than practice. It's a fantastic bit of kit, I am really getting on well with it.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Though oddly enough the green there is actually LNER green, since adding the orange lining it's made it appear darker, almost like BR green.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good stuff. Glad to know the Bob Moore stuff is still available actually. I last used one a good twenty years ago now :flushed: