Hornby Dublo restoration project

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I agree they look good, and they certainly gave this loco its fair share of liveries over the years. Bit of a faux pas with the lions….but I bet if you looked hard enough you could find a picture of a loco with one on backwards……I’ve seen pictures of diesels with the BR arrows of indecision on backwards, and they pointed both ways…..the transfers must have been put on sticky side outwards….

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So I have one more batch to blast before I call it a day for the rest of this year. 2 commissions I've been asked to do and a few other odds and ends.

Some of the last ones I completed are shown below. I feel these have reached a stage where I'm happy enough. They could be better but they will do.

IMG_20210830_233224.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice. Good to see a couple of A4s and what looks like a Deltic in there……good number of tenders as well. You’ve probably painted more 0-6-2s than the LNER by now as well ;)

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Very nice. Good to see a couple of A4s and what looks like a Deltic in there……good number of tenders as well. You’ve probably painted more 0-6-2s than the LNER by now as well ;)

Yes I've done a good few alright!

The A4s I've wanted to do for a while and going to do 2 black and 2 grey and 1 green. Already look good.

I have a few Deltics and will do different colours, not normally found on layouts, maybe grey and black ones.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So with this batch I have changed a few things to enable me to mask easier. I am now using acid etch rattle can primer as it seems to provide a far better and harder base than my acrylic primer. Also after the first coat I have given 3 coats of gloss varnish and allowed over 24 hours before masking. Only using Tamiya masking tape now as well and so far not a single flake peeled off when removing.

Really enjoying the brush painting of brass and copper fittings, gives a little detail and suddenly really starts to bring them to life.

IMG_20211127_162349.jpgIMG_20211127_143149.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's a lot of work and paint by the number of bodies James

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
It's not too bad to be honest John. I'm a bit better organised now so paint in batches so it cuts down the time taken a great deal.
The decals though are a different story

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow.... Amazing..... Great work on show.

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Those look good James......hope to see some finished shots soon. Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good indeed!