Horrible faces

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
OK so I decided to give painting a bust another go, something I've wanted to do for a while, as my stash will attest, but I have some sort of mental block.
I decided to do this 95th Rifles bust from sovereign but the eye's are as horrible as they look on the box art, I can't tell where the eye is actually meant to be.
IMG_20200809_153546.jpg
Though the right side if the face does look a bit swollen so I wonder if it's meant to be swollen shut......

How do you cope with poor sculpts on faces? New head, resculpt, bin?
One part of me wants to soldier on and not worry about the eyes, another part is saying bin it

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I wondered if he was meant to be squinting in the hot Spanish sunshine :thinking:

I decided to re-sculpt mine - it would have to be really really bad before I binned anything before having a go at fixing it

this is modelling

95bust-004_2016-08-10.JPG

photo above for inspiration - drilled out the sockets and installed ball bearings then sculpted detail over the top

turned out not too bad and painted up ok

give it a go

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't do large figures Karl, but I'd be interested to see the actual figure. I was talking to Tim the other day about poorly cast 28mm metal figures and I'd just like to see what you guys have to cope with on the larger ones.

Reactions: JR

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I don't do large figures Karl, but I'd be interested to see the actual figure. I was talking to Tim the other day about poorly cast 28mm metal figures and I'd just like to see what you guys have to cope with on the larger ones.
I did try putting a wash over the area to show the actual thing but it didn't take to the bare resin and I am replacing some detail on the torso.

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Hi Karl
its not a problem I’ve come across that much but if something is badly sculpted I don’t think any expertise in painting can put it right... I know Peter D will often use different heads if he’s not happy with one but I’m not sure if they are readily available in that scale.???
As you said you were trying out doing busts again maybe you should find one that your happy with the sculpt as a bad experience could put you off?
I have mainly done busts recently and like working at that scale but if I wasn’t happy with the sculpt I suspect it would stay on the shelf.
Jason

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Karl. These sovereign busts don't have a great reputation I'm afraid, the faces in particular being pretty poor. I would probably try replacing it with a spare - reedeesminiatures.co.uk have some heads in 200mm which fir 1/9 and 1/10 scale busts. You could chop the shako off and use that with the new one.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Hi Karl. These sovereign busts don't have a great reputation I'm afraid, the faces in particular being pretty poor. I would probably try replacing it with a spare - reedeesminiatures.co.uk have some heads in 200mm which fir 1/9 and 1/10 scale busts. You could chop the shako off and use that with the new one.
I'll have a look at those heads, cheers.
For now I've decided this will go back in the box, even though I have done some work on the torso, I got rid of that unconvincing tear on the right shoulder and replaced the cord for the powder horn, it was damaged on arrival but was horribly sculpted anyway. It got shaved off and replaced with a Tamiya towcable, not quite correct but better.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
He certainly has some dodgy peepers indeed.Short of re.sculpting eyes then new bonce like the guys advised.A real shame for you but some spare Reedees heads could prove useful for future.
Onwards and upwards chap.
Rich.