How close do YOU spray

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes it's the pain again:anguished:

I consider myself to be ok with a airbrush and have painted many StuGs with no problems BUT every ship has given me problems with grainy paint.

Cannot explain why suddenly I have gone all wonky, not sure if its the length and size of the hull, or because I should be sitting down. Do not think its the pressure or paint

So how close do you get when spraying ??

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
There's so many variables involved (paint thickness, pressure, nozzle size, etc). But as a general answer, graininess in the paint is most likely caused by the paint drying in the air. Try a lower pressure but closer to the model. If the paint runs, you are too close. :smiling3:

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I think Bob is right. A grainy finish is usually the paint being dry or at least too dry to level out as it hits the model. His remedies should work although a warm environment won't help. Alan makes a good suggestion as well.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all, so frustrating, swear bucket near to overflowing lol

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Paint drying in the air is not always a bad thing, I've recently used it too add texture to a sports car seat.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Will try 10 psi, same as I use for Mr Color lacquers, on a plastic spoon first

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob,
in summer, I always have to make allowances for the weather - spraying above 20C, I usually add a drop of retarder, that's if I have to use the a/b, If it's that warm, I usually only spray early in the morning, or late evening, when it's a few degrees cooler.
As to distance, using a 0.3mm nozzle @ 1.5bar, I would say 50 - 75mm.............
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not going to help much Bob, but my answer is close enough that I can see the paint landing wet, but not so close that I can see it sag and run…..usually around 6 - 9 inches….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Spraying large areas doesn't help. Because you want to cover the large area you tend to increase the spraying distance so you get a bigger spray pattern. There's a tendency to up the pressure, increase the distance and pull the trigger back further. Like Dave said warm weather doesn't help.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Spraying large areas doesn't help. Because you want to cover the large area you tend to increase the spraying distance so you get a bigger spray pattern. There's a tendency to up the pressure, increase the distance and pull the trigger back further. Like Dave said warm weather doesn't help.
That's probably what I am doing Jim, and as Dave says warm weather does not help. Got a fan lined up for the new room.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So many variables to consider Bob. Think Jim has a good answer along with Dave.
To stop tip drying I add a spot of retarder to the mix. So many small spaces on your type of build as well to make matters worse.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
So many variables to consider Bob. Think Jim has a good answer along with Dave.
To stop tip drying I add a spot of retarder to the mix. So many small spaces on your type of build as well to make matters worse.
Thanks John, I think Jim hit the nail on the head!