How do I make a ship hull from plastic?

A

Alpine Skier

Hi

I'm totally new to modelling and I have always wanted to build a cutaway model of a ship showing the internal details, cabins, engine room etc.

What is the best way of making the hull? Could I carve out a block of MDF in the shape of my hull and coat it with a plastic casting resin then when its set pull the plastic hull off the wood? If so what is the cheapest resin kits available? I know polyurethane ones are quite expensive and don't keep long.

The only other option is to use metal and panel beat it around my hull shape former, is that a popular method for model making?

Any other ideas please.

First Name
Aaron
From what I've seen on "garage kits" most are moulded from a clay master then resin casted, sorry I can't be more help as this is waaaaayyyyy out of my league.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Which type of ship or boat have you in mind?

The best way to build a boat from scratch is the same way as a real one just not the same materials. You could build one plank on frame using plastic sheet instead of wood, if you are after a steel hulled boat.

To get the basic idea, have a search for "plank on frame boats".

Ian M

D

Dave Garrett

what about buying a kit of the boat that you want and hacking into it where you want people to see the internals have a look at this link for inspiration

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929377-172-revell-corvette-snowberry/

D

Dave Garrett

you would need to do some serious research into the ship that you are building try and get hold of a reference book on the ship you are building the anatomy of a ship collection of books is very good but they only have a select few ships

D

Dave Garrett

i know that revell do a cutaway model of a submarine but i don't know the name of it and that would be a good start

B

Billy

My grandad builds boats and I asked him the same thing the other day. He said it's similar to real life you cut out the bulkheads then you cut wood or plastic into planks and fix them round the bulkheads then cover it with filler. Sounds easy doesn't it haha