How do you dent, damage thin plastic??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning

On the Pz 111, there is a air deflector on the rear exhaust, made from thin plastic. On the actual vehicles this was usually dented and out of shape

Is there a way of doing this on the kit without ruining it??

Thanks bob

• Love
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you for calling the Bash it and Dent it help line for distressed modellers.
Morning Bob.
When I've wanted to inflict such damage I use several methods, heat being the main source. This will allow you to bend or even push into the part. Of course you don't want to ruin it so the heat in your instance could come from warm water, or even a hair dryer. The later I find is good, you can control the amount of heat easily. I'd suggest a trial on a spare part, i've held small sections with a pair of tweezers, so as not to burn my self. You can then push the required amount of damage. The other methods are a saw , twisting the use of a scribe or needle , the soldering iron for shell impact.Lastly of course the favorite. FIRE . The later requires a lengthy training course . :nerd:
HTH.
Pyromania Consultant to the Forum.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You must be busy. The line was engaged for ages! !!!

Thanks John much appreciated

• Haha

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
It depends if its a fairly easy shape you could replace it with a bit of foil from a pie dish for example this is easy to dent and looks more like metal. Or shave it very thin then distort to get the sharp creases. Johns way works as well but don't get it to hot as the edges will round off.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
An idea I have heard about but not tried. To control the heat and ensure it is only applied where wanted use one of those incense sticks. Allows the plastic to be heated just enough to 'dent' it. Also makes the work area smell lovely :smiling2:
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Bob
An idea I have heard about but not tried. To control the heat and ensure it is only applied where wanted use one of those incense sticks. Allows the plastic to be heated just enough to 'dent' it. Also makes the work area smell lovely :smiling2:
Jim
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Bob
Jim
I'm becoming worried about your post , does chanting have to take place as well ?
Think a visit from Matron is due:smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Heat will work, but be careful with applying it, in case you stoke things up too much and either the parts get too soft, or you melt things you didn’t want to. A controllable, constant heat source like a soldering iron is far better than a flame from a candle or cigarette lighter. It may be better to recreate the deflector from some thin brass or aluminium sheet, though, and then bend and dent that.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Jakko

I am afraid that if i distort it to much it will not fit onto the exhausts!

Will have a look for a bit of pe to play with

Thanks all

Bob

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you’ve made a part yourself from thin metal sheet, then if it’s bent too far you can try bending it back or else making a new one. Heat a plastic part too far, and your only real options are to do without entirely, or scratchbuild a replacement anyway :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes I did JR, knowing full well you couldn't keep your glue stained mitts off of them!!!
:tongue-out3: cheers mate.

• Haha