How do you

D

dead-mans-click

Hello people, i built my first armoured vehicle the other day. but i want to add the extra touch. Whot do you guys use for the VHF and HF antenn's, because ive just built an LAV-AT so its modern day. Your help would be awesome.

Lewis

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If its long and whippy, a bit of streatched sprue would do the trick. If its one of the thick stiff ones some people use a bristle from a nylon broom. You could also use a bit of sprue for those too I guess.

Dont be shy, post a picture and lets have a look!

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've used cat's whiskers for whip aerials - but only those that the cat has shed naturally! I would come and haunt you if you took them forcibly!!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
All the above plus a bristle from a paint brush.

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Stretched sprue is incredibly versatile and, of course, glues to the model with polystyrene cement. Have a practise and see what you come up with. If you want thinner sections heat it slightly more but if you want thicker sections don't heat it quite as much. It might take a lot of attempts to get it spot on but it will be worth it in the end.

D

dead-mans-click

Thanks guys. but not to sound daft, whats sprue???

F

Fenlander

Sprue is the frame of plastic that holds the bits of your kit before you build it, a very useful material. It can be gently heated until it softens and then pulled to stretch it into a thin rod. Takes a bit of trial and eror but once you get to grips with it, you can stretch the stuff as thick or fine as you want.

Done a little diagram to illustrate

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Graham has done a nice diagram. I find it works best if I do the stretching bit vertically but that might just be me. The plastic will be surprisingly hot so be careful.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi lewis, another alternative is guitar string ,the thinnest one, or a fibre optic strand from one of those cheap ufo lamps. What scale is your afv? cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Thanks guys. but not to sound daft, whats sprue???
Which just goes to show that:

A) We shouldn't make assumtions in our replies and

B) All credit to you for asking the obvious question!!!

Also what a superb diagram from Graham to perfectly explain the process.

Now that you know what we are talking about, more apologies, have a play. Stretched sprue is very useful and can be used in rigging and all sorts of scratchbuilding applications. Don't be tempted to touch it too early though, hot polystyrene sticks and you get a nasty burn off it.