How low can you go?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok i know this is a question that is not really answerable as every situation is different but....

Using Tamiya paints and thinner, what ratio of paint to thinner and what air pressure would you set your compressor at to achieve a really fine low volume paint spray?

I need to touch up a few areas on my jagdpanther and it has to be light work as it's next to the other colours.

B

beav1013

i use tamiya paints and i usually thin them pretty heavy. maybe 50/50 or 60 paint to 40 thinner. i kind of just eye ball it and test it out on a piece of paper before applying it to the model. my normal psi is around 35. i know a lot of guys like to use between 15-20 for their psi, but i've always gotten better results with the thinner paint at a higher psi.

not sure what kind of brush you have, but i normally take the needle cover off so i can get real close if i have too (also helps with fewer splatters in my experience). i would do a lot of testing on scrap paper before applying to the model first though.

hope that helped. good luck.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't use Tamiya paints so I can't suggest a ratio but I spray close up stuff, touch ups,mottling etc at the lowest pressure that works. My regulator says about 10-12 psi.

Steve

S

sprayman

Low volume coverage spray for best reults is a higher thinner ratio to paint, and agree with the lower pressure, but not struggle low where its spitting.

I would agree with Steve of about 10-12 psi, and would try 70:30 thinner to paint, but Jims 60:40 is also a good tried and tested Tamiya ratio mix.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers all. Will give it a go :smiling3: