How many windings?

T

Tim Tim

I get terrified that the rubber band will break when I'm winding it up on my balsa models.

Is there a recommended/suggested amount of turns to make?

Thanks,

Tim

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I get terrified that the rubber band will break when I'm winding it up on my balsa models.Is there a recommended/suggested amount of turns to make?

Thanks,

Tim
*** Tim,the poor quality of modern rubber restricts too many winds,when rubber models were popular the sales would ensure that fresh stocks were always available,these days a drum will stay on the model shops shelves for ages before being sold.

My best advice is to lubricate the skein well and gradually increase the number of winds,take note of the way it bunches up,you sort of get a feel for the tension on the winder,stretch winding using a 'stooge' is best,all this consists of is a pole in the ground with a pin that goes through the rear peg position into a fork end,thus the model is well supported without someone actually holding it,the prop winder is inserted and you step back stretching the rubber motor gradually adding the winds.

Another way is to pre-stretch the rubber motor before fitting into the model,despite what people think rubber models are certainly a black art and take great skill to get the best from them.