How much glue do you use chaps??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
May sound a odd question but i try to use as little glue as possible which might explain why some times bits fall off, especially PE lol

Been watching various vids on Youtube and many seem to me to put lots of it on. Panzermeister doing a Stug (yes i know) for example seemed to put down a pool of either glue or CA and it was obvious after that there was too much??

Is it me being to fussy or over the top

Just a observation

Bob

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob
i would say anything outside of the joint is wasted and just adds to the clean up required before painting. It also makes a stronger joint More quickly. The more solvent you put on the more has to gas off before the joint is solid.....just my groats worth.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mere tyros Bob, not experienced like us ;)

• Haha

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Scottie, doing something right lol

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
For small parts I tend to put a small blob (of TET) on just to hold the part, then once it's grabbed I run a little around the seam just to be sure and to fill any gaps. I probably only go through one bottle of TET per year.

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Bob

On the one video while fitting tools onto a fender (a right pain for me) after fitment you could see the glue running around the tread plate, almost impossible to remove. Surprised me as many of these have there own channels

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Some of the you tube vid make me cringe. I was watching somebody build the M10 Achilles (which I will be building soon) and he left a big gap in the top of the gun breech! It was immediately noticeable as the M10 fighting compartment has no top to it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very true but i have found some very good sites such as Hornet hobbies but others yes do make you wonder what the hell's going on lol

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The answer is 'just enough'. With TET, you really have to use a lot before clean up becomes needed. I just generally offer up a part, then just touch the TET brush to the joint - on long joints, you let capillary action draw the cement in. TET is expensive stuff, so you don't want to overdo it! :rolling:
CA is a different ballgame - if you use too much, not only does it mean a difficult clean up, but sometimes actually inhibits the adhesion.
I still use Revell Contacta Expert on a majority of my models ( the type with the hypodermic applicator! ), most especially on large parts.
Edge preparation can aid adhesion, irregularities, or tiny bits of flash can cause the type of 'mortar' joint with excessive glue. I either run a scalpel blade along the edges, or use a sanding sponge to remove any burrs Dry fit to see if there any gaps, and attend to it before gluing & don't be tempted to use cement as a filler, instead of cleaning up
Dave

First Name
Gary
I use the TET and the Revel Contacta Expert as well Dave. They both suit whatever I am doing. Glues have come such a long way since my last modelling in the 60s

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim

On the model - very little indeed. The minimum required for the job. :smiling:

On my trousers, the cutting mat, the carpet, the bench, my fingers - gallons of the b****y stuff!! :sad:

Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

On the model - very little indeed. The minimum required for the job. :smiling:

On my trousers, the cutting mat, the carpet, the bench, my fingers - gallons of the b****y stuff!! :sad:

Jim

HAHA SNAP Jim im just the same but not on the carpet or the missus would have summit to say an it wont be good an im just tryin out some new super glue that I bought at a car boot sale an it very good an it qute a big bottle 50grams of glue for £2.50 an a big spray tin of activator 200 ml for £1.50 which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the model shop im gonna buy some more this wk end when we go again an did some one say on here a few wks ago that you can store super glue in the fridge an it will keep for yrs ? as im sure they did
chris