How much glue do you use chaps??

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
CA in the fridge stays fine for years I find.
Jim
I would agree with Jim, I used to keep CA in the fridge when I was building a lot of RC model aircraft, it's too expensive to waste.

Andy.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Whilst we're talking glue, I'm getting confused, can someone tell me what deluxe products roket max is, is it ca, superglue or something else. :confused:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the makers say it's cyanoacrylate

Pete

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
All I know is that I bought some last year, went to use it a few months later and it had gone hard in the bottle. I don't know if I had an old bottle or if it has a short shelf life.
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Know this is a oldie thread but on another forum a very similar question has been asked. Many of the posts say they do use a fair bit of glue but the paint hides the excess???

Cannot agree, am i right to agree!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No you are not Bob. The only glue that sticks the parts is that found between them. Anything else just wrecks the surface and appearance. You can’t hide it with paint! If I end up with excess glue outside the joint I let it set hard then scrape it down to get rid of it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
No you are not Bob. The only glue that sticks the parts is that found between them. Anything else just wrecks the surface and appearance. You can’t hide it with paint! If I end up with excess glue outside the joint I let it set hard then scrape it down to get rid of it.
Thats what i was thinking Tim, watched another YT build and again he slapped it on, no sign of any cleaning up.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Bob i know im scratch building an its not a proper part like in a kit but when i use my glue or c/a on my tube ive got a very thin lead out tube thats about a half a m/m so only the edges get glue an not go every where but if that does happen then i just wipe it clean an if its gone hard then i just use a mini flat needle file to file off the glue then usein a very fine sandpaper then smooth it off hows that
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
WELL Bob i know im scratch building an its not a proper part like in a kit but when i use my glue or c/a on my tube ive got a very thin lead out tube thats about a half a m/m so only the edges get glue an not go every where but if that does happen then i just wipe it clean an if its gone hard then i just use a mini flat needle file to file off the glue then usein a very fine sandpaper then smooth it off hows that
chris
Sound advice Chris, thanks

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Have you tried a test piece Bob? Take a piece of plastic card, smear too much glue on half of it and leave the other side plain.
let it dry then just spray it....see if you can see a difference under paint :thinking:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had another think about this....which glue do you mean Bob? Liquid glues, like EVA or Mek Pak, won’t leave a stain. They wick under the join by capillary action, melting both faces to make the join. Any left on the surface will simply evaporate. Glues like Contacta have a solvent in a carrier and will leave the carrier as a residue when the glue evaporates.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I tried to use as little as required, but then ended up with too little. Sometimes I leave finger prints on the part I've used too much on, ending up spending more time cleaning.
Agree with Tim about what happens with using too much CA, the pe will or plastic will just not glue.
As to activator I now make my own, 26 ml of IPA to one 1/4 tsp of Baking Powder, stir well and add to a small spritz bottle , works well .

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So for some people SWMBO let's you put stuff in the fridge...! WOW.

I'm of the you can never have too much glue school.

John