How to clean really dusty dirty models?

B

Buttonman

Hi All

I have finally a proper display cabinet, After years of my complete model just stacked in any spare space they are minging dust and something sticky, have tried dusting, using the air brush on high pressure to no avail.

I know some Forum members will have a easy method to clean them up back to looking fresh again.

Really p****d off a lot of them have broken bits and need to pull everything out in the modelling room to find the missing pieces.

Hopefully

Cheers

Martin

First Name
Gregg
My schnellboot is on a shelf in the bedroom, and seems to accumulate a dust that doesn't just blow off with my airbrush.

However mixing a little fairy liquid and warm water, then blown through my AB a couple of times (while boot is sat on it's stern) finishing off with just plain water.

Seems to work quite well.

Did it in the kitchen sink once and got my ear bent by HIWMBO. Now I do it in the garden.

View attachment 111292

Gregg

Storage Area.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Greg beat me to it but that is what I do as well. I have also been known to give them a warm, not hot, warm shower. Just watch there isn't to much pressure or you might just end up blasting bits off.

B

Buttonman

Thanks guys i'll be on it tomorrow.

Cant understand why it's sticky tho.

Got my own little sink in my man cave so i'm safe there I hope.

Cheers

Martin

L

Laurie

i cleaned mine down recently. I used the Harder and Steinbeck airblower.

Although it looks like an airbrush it is just a blower of air. The outlet is approx three quarters of a millimetre.

Whereas an airbrush you push the trigger down and that is it one pressure the H & S blower is activated by the trigger which release air depending on how much you pull back the trigger. Enables the compressor to be put at a very high pressure as you regulate the air at the blower trigger. It got rid of about 80 to 90% of the rubbish the remainder which was patchy after the blower I just used a wide brush. The models had about a year of dust i think if I had carried out the blower treatment at 6 month intervals only blower treatment would have been necessary.

View attachment 111330

I use it mainly to blast before painting. It is very very rare that I get a dust spot or hair during airbrushing. They are about £25 well spent.

Laurie

HS-126503.JPG

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Thanks guys i'll be on it tomorrow.
Cant understand why it's sticky tho.

Got my own little sink in my man cave so i'm safe there I hope.

Cheers

Martin
If doing it in the sink, make sure you have the plug in or a plug filter.

Just in case any parts are detached.:eek::eek:

Gregg

B

Buttonman

Sink filter is always in place because I wash all my sprues before assembly.

Nice one Laurie sounds very handy but you left out one important piece of gen

"Where do I get one" Please buddy.

Martin

zuludog

SMF Supporter
For dry dusting of large surfaces steal one of your daughter's make-up, ie powder application, brushes. Wash it first if it has been used

For more intricate areas use a No. 6 or 7, about 3/8", brush. It should be soft, but doesn't have to be top quality sable; camel or squirrel will do. Keep it just for cleaning.

If the dry brush doesn't do the job, use the same brush to wash the model with warm water containing a small amount of washing up liquid. Rinse with plain water as the washing up liquid may leave a residue and marks when it has dried

You can get aerosol type cans of dry air intended for cleaning cameras, and also mini vacuum cleaners intended for cleaning keyboards