How to dress a plastic figure...?

P

Polux

Hi all.

I need your help and advice please.

My next project turns around a figure. The other day I found a plastic kit that is perfect for my project. He comes naked, so is ideal for copy the style that I need to recreate.

The problem is.....I have oven-bake clay. She seems to be easy to work! But needs to be baking.... :confused:

Which are my options....?

Maybe the best one is copy the plastic figure with a wire skeleton and then “dresses” him? Just cutting the arms and legs (glued them later) and replace the body?

DSC_3335.JPG

There is any other clay or similar that can works perfectly and you don’t need to bake...?

Any suggestion will be welcome :smiling3:

Thanks

Polux

F

Fenlander

A lot of the figure guys use Green Stuff and Sculpy for 'fleshing out' the figures

P

Polux

Thanks Graham ;)

The green stuff is the green putty like the Humbrol one...? You need to thinned it with acetone...and I remember was difficult to work. Time ago I did my one wire tree, and I used it to "sculpt" all the set.

This afternoon I will try an "experiment" using an old piece of plastic covered with the clay.... :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
green stuff is a strip of two colors,green/blue,that you cut some to how long you like,

then squids together,until all the one color,then you can roll,shape as you like,

but I think it has 10 to 15mins before setting, ;)

S

stuart.c.82

Would the bake clay go off if you put it just in the airing cupboard for a week? I don't know how hot it needs to get to set hard?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
one of the air drying clay's that would work,but if it is very thing it may crack,where the green stuff is like

in a way a soft resin setting thing,:rolleyes:

or there are types of thing you do bake in the over ,one chap who,user a lot of that is Paul,

P

Polux

\ said:
I don't know how hot it needs to get to set hard?
It's a nice idea!

275'F (130'C) for 15 minutes per 1/4 in (6mm) of thickness.

P

Polux

Thanks Moni!!

This is the Epoxy!!! I used only one time, without any fortune....maybe is time to try it again :smiling3:

S

stuart.c.82

How strong does it need to be? If it's not got to be super strong could you use something like a lasagna sheet? Soften it (or make some) cut to size and shape and leave it to air dry stuck to the correctly positioned figure. Once dry it would probably take a primer and paint ok?

P

Polux

Hey!! My experiment seems that works!! :smiling3:

I took a piece of an old figure. I painted with a special anti-calorific paint (she resist temperatures between 200/400'C).

Once dry, then I added the clay. I leave the piece on the oven for a 15 minutes at 130'C.....and nothing happens!!!

The clay is solid now, and the plastic hasn't any damage or melt :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Polux

I've just seen this thread.

I was going to say that the temperature of the overn may not be enough to melt the plastic.

As Paul suggests above Magic Sculpt is a great 2 part epoxy that's great for this kind of work.

Congrats on your successful experiment!

All the best

P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Milliput two part resin is great for this kind of job. You can roll it out very thin; less than one millimetre and it forms very well into cloth like drapes.

You can work it with wet cotton buds and tools to smooth and "weld" it. It sets in room temp. so no risk of anything melting either.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Milliput two part resin is great for this kind of job. You can roll it out very thin; less than one millimetre and it forms very well into cloth like drapes.

You can work it with wet cotton buds and tools to smooth and "weld" it. It sets in room temp. so no risk of anything melting either.

Excellent idea Ian, I will look into the stuff, sounds real easy to work with without baking etc... no model stores nearby ,I will attempt to purchase some online ;)